The decline of the benefits system and anarchy in the UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I've been thinking recently on what is going to be the key factor, the lynch pin, the step too far that ultimately is going to bring the British public out onto the streets. Despite mass immigration, illegal wars, the ever encroaching police state and the dying economy, there is one safety net that has kept the British public complacent and that is the benefits system.

The benefits system has basically allowed a large underclass to develop but also has provided people with a safety net if they haven't any employment. Its allowed an acceptable standard of living for people with disabilities and has kept a large portion of the population glued to the X-Factor and Britain's Got Talent. With the benefits rolling in, people have become apathetic and quite content just to sit infront of the TV.

However, this is I feel coming to a sharp end. The government has recently started to migrate long-term claimants of income support and incapacity benefit onto the new "Employment and Support Allowance" - a benefit that is supposedly to help people find work.

I've done some research and apparently, the new benefit and the means testing system isn't as clear cut as it used to be. Its being run by the ATOS Origin company and quite simply, they've been declaring people "fit for work" regardless of even if they have major health issues such as angina or even MS. These people ultimately get forced onto Jobseeker's allowance.

Now to add that in with the faltering economy. Just recently a new Tesco store opened up. 20 or so jobs were available and something like 400 or more people applied with only so many interviews being given. There's so few jobs, very little openings and many of the major companies such as Tesco, Asda, McDonald's, HMV, etc are not taking on new staff. The only few jobs available are for experienced managers.

So we've ultimately got a disaster situation brewing here. Millions of people that are on income support/incapacity benefit will be pushed through onto Jobseeker's allowance and forced to find work. This is but the first step.

Problem is, there's absolutely no work available. The second step will be when the cash strapped government eventually starts to cut even more into the welfare budget and start forcing more off Jobseeker's.....this I feel will come in another year or so.

Third step will be an eventual overall decline in public services such as benefits as the government eventually stops paying welfare altogether or imposing such hard regulations that average people struggle to get any meaningful benefit support.

This I feel is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back. Its going to be the ultimate demise of the welfare state that is going to bring people out into the streets. I don't see though this scenario being necessarily people rioting against the government - just people rioting in general, ransacking supermarkets, millions of unemployed migrants and natives fighting it out Northern Ireland style on ex-industrial council estates, etc.

Its as the saying goes - people are three meals away from rioting. Take their safety net away and when they have no means to support themselves, it won't be who Simon Cowell is putting through on the X-Factor but "what will we eat tonight?"

Obviously the government can't be that stupid and have to realise the overall public order of the country is teetering on the brink of oblivion. Just that last mile and the house of cards will collapse.

Of course we wouldn't be in this mess if only jobs had not been off shored and the previous government's had not allowed such a huge number of people to become reliant on the welfare system as their only means of support.

Sponsored Links
Let the chav parasites riot and give the army strict instructions to "shoot to kill" any wrongdoers. Job done!

The lazy vermin need to be culled.

of course there are jobs out there. people who say there arent any are generally happy to sit on their bums bleeting about how they cant manage on the money they are given. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
...Of course we wouldn't be in this mess if only jobs had not been off shored and the previous government's had not allowed such a huge number of people to become reliant on the welfare system as their only means of support.

You missed the last paragraph.

As DM says let them riot and send in the army to sort them out.
Shoot to kill policy.
By that stage the eu should be broke up and history and an ultra right wing party in power.
Bring it on.

You are giving a mixed message there Foley. One one point you are saying that the unemployed lie about, where in reality, they are working in charity, or for the community, so your research is bogus.

I think you will find it's the public sector going on strike.

I think when I am forced to work alongside people that have been committed of a crime, and need to work for my dole, 24/7, alongside these people derogatory, as I didn't commit a crime. But I'm committed to the community, far more than any worker, why can't anyone else try charity work? But when I'm committed to charity work, then how am I able to look for work?

But if I volunteer for work, going to college, volunteer work, then the dole bans me? And says I'm unavailable for work. So the dole sends me to work 40 hours a week, for charity, I'm available for work...but if a company says can you work for free, for less than 16 hours a week, that is not allowed. I might write my MP, but he retired after claiming about £1000 for cutlery...

I do all I can, and apply for jobs, 5-10 a day....and employers are rude.

I do all I can, and apply for jobs, 5-10 a day....and employers are rude

I find it hard to believe that you apply for so many jobs for so many months and you are still unemployed! You have applied for probably hundreds of jobs now!

Are you actually qualified or trained to do the jobs you are applying for? Do you apply for jobs out of your reach and hoping to get lucky? There ARE plenty of jobs out there, you must be doing something wrong!

Let the chav parasites riot and give the army strict instructions to "shoot to kill" any wrongdoers. Job done!

The lazy vermin need to be culled.

Thankfully, the British Army would not shoot at it's own people. Though they might just turn on the Government...

a single person on benefits gets £65.50p a week to pay for gas electric water food clothes travel phone and have a riotous time
this can be further eroded if there rent is higher than the maximum amount allowed

no one would choose to be on benefits as its impossible to live on £65 a week :cry: :cry:

My sister has been unemployed for just over 2 years now. She applies for 4-5 jobs a week and hardly even gets an interview.

She helps part time in a charity shop (3 days a week) and been told to cut that to 1 day as it means she isn't spending that time looking for work or if a job becomes available is unavailable for work.

While working there is has learnt how to deal with customers, handle money (banking it etc), opening/closing shop

She has also completed courses in English, Maths, IT, First Aid, Food Hygenie

She wants to work but there are so many people applying for jobs she doesn't get a look in

Well said Big-all. Where people get the idea that people on unemployment benefit are leading the high life from, I don't know.
The only thing that I can think is that these unemployed people who have the latest phones, flat screen tv's games machines etc, are either working on the side, or have half a dozen feral kids, who go without so the parents can have these luxury items.
When I was unemployed, I too was applying for anywhere between 3 and 7 jobs per week. Years ago whenever someone applied for a job, companies would always respond, whether it was a rejection or acceptance.... Nowadays, they don't even acknowledge applications (even by email)

Disabled people on benefits, we have to accept that there are a minority who are swinging the lead, but the government should have been actively weeding these out. But,, what happens in the majority of cases when people are caught? They are taken to court and ordered to pay back any benefits claimed. They then pay these out of the benefits they are already claiming at stupid rates of £10 a month or so.

What the benefits agency should be doing in these cases is stop the benefits immediately. I know a chap who claimed DLA for years. All the time he was working on the side re-wiring houses etc. When he was eventually caught, he was ordered to pay back £17,000 in benefits. He was allowed to keep claiming DLA and pays the benefits back at a rate of £12 a month. WTF??? His claim should have been stopped with immediate effect and made to work to pay it back at £100 a week.
It's all wrong.

people off working age in the 70s will remember the tories where responsible for "encouraging" people to claim sickness benefits to reduce the unemployment statistics

Sponsored Links
Back