More floor trouble - raised joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing up a bungalow and the next job is installing a new kitchen.

Due to a washing machine leak in the chipboard flooring [ceramic tiles were laid on top of it which I am removing] the flooring is uneven and the chipboard is 'wavy' but not too bad considering - on closer inspection it seems one of the joists has also 'swollen'. It is raising the floor at the point of the joist so it is higher than the flooring above the neighbouring joists by about 7-9mm.

What is the remedy for this problem? - advice appreciated....

Sponsored Links
joists arnt realy affected badly by leaks where as chipboard floors are!!!
it will take 10 times more damp to start perminantly affecting a solid wood joist where as a chip board floor will quickly be affected

if the dampness has been more than a few months your chipboard floor will probably be completly beyond repair

if its swollen at all [more than 1mm] its probably past repair

Replace the floor and the joist. Not a big job by any means.

If you don't, you will always have problems.

joe

Sponsored Links
...and in a kitchen or bathroom, leaks are inevitable so I like to give the joists a couple of coats of Cuprinol Green.

Chipboard is a rubbishy floor, consider renewing in 18mm WBP ply - stronger, more rigid, quieter, wear-resistant and does not turn to weetabix when it's been wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back