More hairline cracks on newly plastered ceilings every day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I just bought a top floor flat in a 19050s purpose built block and had all ceilings re-plastered, because they had stains, old wall paper etc and looked very unsightly.

It all looked fine for the first few weeks even after the ceilings were painted, but now I am shocked to see that nearly every day there are new hairline cracks in all rooms. I think the trigger may be the fact that the humidity in the flat decreased due to the recent wave of cold weather.

However, after reading all the comments here on this forum, I also have the suspicion that the job hasn't been done properly. For example I am not sure they put PVA before applying the new plaster to the old plaster nor if they sealed the new plaster before painting.

When I asked, the plasterer said that there is no problem and that it doesn't need sealing and that cracks can happen.

How do I find out whether these cracks are normal or it is really down to a poorly done job? And if so what should I do to get this sorted?

It is pretty upsetting having paid all this money only to face even bigger problems now.

I would be most grateful for any advice you can give.

Thanks

Sim

:cry:

Sponsored Links
Do these cracks radiate outwards like spiders legs?? Rub the back of your fingernails over the worst cracked areas. You'll hear a hollow sound if the new skim has came away from the original plaster underneath.
If they (the plasterer) didn't prep the ceiling beforehand,, ie: tape over any cracks,,, PVA before skimming etc, then the job is a bodge without a doubt,,, get them back again and have it out with them. Good preparation over any old surface is paramount, and although no-one can ever guarantee a crack wont appear, you should never get new cracks appearing by the day,,, every day. :eek:
If your worst fears are realised, and the job is a bodge, the only thing that can be done is to get it re-plastered,,,,,, properly!!,, hopefully at the expense of the original plasterer.

Did the ceiling have cracks in it before it was plastered? And did you have the ceiling over boarded? if not then why not?

Andy

Hi Roughcaster

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Yes they do look like spider legs and rubbing the back of my fingernails does create a bit of a hollow sound.

I paid them for the work already, so I wonder how difficult it is going to be to get them back.

Do you think everything has to be taken down and the job redone or is there a less invasive solution?

Sim

Sponsored Links
1. Did you pay them cash?
2. Did you get a receipt?
3. Did you get 3 quotes before picking the tradesman?

Good luck on getting them back if the answer is yes for question 1 and no for question 2.

Andy

Hi Andy

To be honest, I don't know and I wasn't aware that it should have been boarded over. This is my first flat and the first time I deal with things like this.

The plasterer said that these ceilings are difficult to plaster because they are made of concrete, so I guess that's the underlying material. He didn't suggest anything else.

Some of the ceilings had stained old wall paper that was coming off, others had water wave like ripples and were very uneven - those ones still are despite he plastered them - just now they also got cracks in them!

I thought the general state of the ceilings, was because years back there was a leak from the water tanks that are right above the flat. The estate agent and my surveyor said that this had been fixed and that plastering would be the solution.

Thanks

Sim

Hi Roughcaster

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Yes they do look like spider legs and rubbing the back of my fingernails does create a bit of a hollow sound.

I paid them for the work already, so I wonder how difficult it is going to be to get them back.

Do you think everything has to be taken down and the job redone or is there a less invasive solution?

Sim

Any "reputable plasterer" would come back to make good a job that has gone wrong, and that should be the first thing you should ask him to do. As regards to the plaster skim on the ceiling,,,, if it has come away from the original and sounds hollow, there is not much hope. Once you start trying to remove areas here, and areas there, you'll loosen it all. Better to bite the bullet and remove it all, if it's loose over most of the ceiling,,, the plasterer should do that anyway.

Hi Andy

Yes, I did pay them cash and I got a receipt.

I got three quotes from tradesmen that came to see the flat.

Thanks

Sim

The plasterer said that these ceilings are difficult to plaster because they are made of concrete, so I guess that's the underlying material. He didn't suggest anything else. Some of the ceilings had stained old wall paper that was coming off, others had water wave like ripples and were very uneven - those ones still are despite he plastered them - just now they also got cracks in them!

Whether the ceiling are made of concrete, plasterboard, or wooden lath, a competent plasterer should have no problem with any of them. That is a very poor excuse for blaming his shoddy work, on what the ceiling was made of. You also say that other ceilings he plastered for you are not up to standard,,,,, nuff said. Ask them to come back anyway,, and you have a receipt from them, so they can't deny anything. Good luck to ya anyway. Let us know how you get on Sim. ;)

To be honest, I don't know and I wasn't aware that it should have been boarded over. This is my first flat and the first time I deal with things like this.

Sim, the first mistake you made was not being there, if you ever have a tradesman in your property. ALWAYS BE THERE. If anything goes wrong or they want to ask a question or vice-versa. By being there you can also keep an eye on the work.

As regards to over boarding a concrete ceiling? we will need Roughy to come back to us.

Anyway good luck on your first purchase.

Andy

@Roughcaster
Thanks for your advice. It's good to understand that the nature of the ceiling can't really be the reason.

I will get him back. And thinking that he came across as the most serious one of all three, but if you have no experience you don't know how to ask the right questions and that doesn't help.

Sim

You wouldn't really need to overboard this concrete ceiling Andy. If as Sim said it has been plastered in the past, and the plaster is sound, then it is not a problem to prep and replaster over the old. Even if the ceiling was bare concrete, it can be plastered without a problem using pva, and bonding coat plaster,,, i've even scratch coated/cement rendered concrete ceilngs. Although not a fan of it (d*d),, I wouldn't chance dot and dabbing plasterboard onto it/overhead,, a lot of weight hanging there,,, you'd need a mechanical fix too (screws etc).
If i was going to use plasterboard, i'd fix a timber frame to the concrete, and board onto that.
Thanks for your extra comments Sim.

Some of the ceilings had stained old wall paper that was coming off, others had water wave like ripples and were very uneven - those ones still are despite he plastered them - just now they also got cracks in them!

Hi Sim.
Did you see him do any of the prep - for example did he just plaster straight over the stained wallpaper on the ceiling?

Thanks a lot guys!

I know I should have been there and oversee what he was doing, but I work full time and didn't want to take leave for this. From now on, I will for sure though!

At least now I know what needs doing next:
i.e. taking most recent layer of plaster off, prepping surface with PVA and taping existing cracks if there are any, then plaster again. Wait at least for a couple of weeks until it dries, sand and seal paster with 25% water emulsion before painting :)

Sim

@DIYnewbee99

Yes I saw that all the wall paper had been taken off. That he did for sure, but I don't know whether he prepped in any other way.
I don't think so, given the results.

Sim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back