More Help Needed - 2 gang switch to 3 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
apologies if this has been answered before, i've trawled through the forums and couldn't find an answer....

i'm trying to update and fit a new triple light switch from an existing double switch and it's kind of thrown me.
i've labeled the images below in the hope that someone could help me out as to where the correct wires should go in the the new switch.

any help would be much appreciated!

New Triple Switch:
newsocket.jpg

Old Double Switch: (i know there are no wires for the third light, i'm adding it later)
2gang_socket.jpg

----------------------------------------------------
Update:

ok, i need a little more help....

i now have a third lighting wire that needs to go into the new 3 switch.

where do i link the new black and red wires for the 3rd light to the 3 switch?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
ok, i need a little more help....

i now have a third lighting wire that needs to go into the new 3 switch.

where do i link the new black and red wires for the 3rd light to the 3 switch?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the new light has a seperate power feed to it and is loop in wired then just connect your new switch cable to L1 and L2 of the remaining switch.

If on the other hand the new light only has a single cable from your lightswitch position then you will need to add its neutral to the terminal block and and its live to L1 of the spare switch, then you need to take a loop from com of the spare switch to one of the terminals of the switch that has two reds connected (which one you will have to determine by trial and error)

your diagram is labeled wrong btw, the wire you have labeled as mains appears to be a conventional switch cable from a loop in wired light and the other two cables are mains in and a connection to the other light.

plugwash said:
If on the other hand the new light only has a single cable from your lightswitch position then you will need to add its neutral to the terminal block and and its live to L1 of the spare switch, then you need to take a loop from com of the spare switch to one of the terminals of the switch that has two reds connected (which one you will have to determine by trial and error)

thanks. i followed your advice and it's all working.

thanks again, you've been a real help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back