More plumbing probs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a system with 3 zones and 3 pumps (1Boiler basic on/off)

Any suggestions on how to configure the elecrics to enable them to work independantly??

It's the relay wiring that's got me puzzled!!

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking you could wire it where you have a room stat / timer etc combination for each zone. These could call the relevent zone valve for the zone. The micoswitch from the zone valve could be used to call the pump for that zone with a relay wired in parallel to each pump. The relay contacts wired in parallel so any relay being energized will call the boiler.
Either that, or are zone valves available with two independant microswitches? Is it normal to have 3 pumps?

NO!!
First time I have ever needed to use 3 pumps !!
I had same idea with relays but wondered if I really need 3 or if I was missing something obvious!! :confused:

You need three relays, but they aint to expensive.

Dont listen to the guys who say to wire the pump to run in parallel with the valves call signal!

Sponsored Links
You need three relays, but they aint to expensive.

Dont listen to the guys who say to wire the pump to run in parallel with the valves call signal!

I thought about that using differential bypass valves to return flow until valve opens!
Plumbing is tight enough already, and would look a right pigs ear!
Relays are much preffered !!

Any ideas on which ones and a suitable enclosure??

Many thanks!

Diff bypass would cost TOO much compared to relays!

I would use a gewiss enclosure with a steel backplate (gewiss make them), and pop rivet a short length of dinrail to it. Clip the relay bases to the dinrail.

I would also fit some dinrail terminals and earth terminals to the dinrail and use the enclosure as the 'wiring centre' aswell.

Gewiss boxes are drillable to accept conduit and TRS glands - IDEAL!

The relays with 240v coils which came to mind are made by Finder, type 40.31 and DIN rail base type 95.63, they are rated 10A but are pretty small - 55mm deep, 16mm wide, 68mm high sat in the base.

The finder ones are a bit more compact, I used them in a panel I built a couple of years back to save space as the normal 8 or 11 pin relays would have taken up too much space.
Relay
Base (2nd from left)

Not keen on those - I have seen several stick open or close. For low current cent heat I expect they are fine, but give me a good old 8 or 11 pin anyday!

I must admit I have only seen a handfull of the octal ones fail in my time and we have a lot of them!

I must admit I have only seen a handfull of the octal ones fail in my time and we have a lot of them!

We too have oodles of octal relays in control panels, but I think the newer squarer ones look better in a new control panel.I havn't to date had a problem with a Finder relay and I've been using them for the last five or six years. (Albeit the octal ones are still going after twenty to thirty years!)

I have seen them in panels regualrly, but they always switch indicators, contactors and remote outputs, never any 'loads'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back