More problems painting new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am still having problems painting my newly plastered walls, they are not dot and dab, they are rendered, and plastered

The problem is, the paint in places doesn't want to stick to the plaster, before I started, I rubbed down all the plaster to remove the dust, and wiped it clean.

I am using Dulux Vinal matt, trade, fist coat was + 10% water, this is the second coat, but not getting better.

I have tried using filler, but rub it down, and more paint starts coming off, as much as it might all end up the right colour, I can still see the different levels in the paint

I would like to know the cause, is it something the plaster did ? too late to over skim, skirting board now fitted :(

Should I try some PVA ?

Many many thanks,

Paul

Sponsored Links
Sometimes with plaster, the plasterer can over polish the surface and this leaves areas that are hard to cover with emulsion as they tend to skid over the surface. The first mist coat should really be a contract matt, no vinyl in it followed by two or three further coats of vinyl matt or soft sheen emulsion, but thinned only slightly.
Looking at your pics it does seem that your first coats may have been to thick and had not adhered properly to the plaster. DO NOT use PVA on plaster prior to putting emulsion on. It will not adhere and will bring it all off.
Some of the areas that have been over polished can be covered with a thinned down oil based undercoat first, then carry on as normal.

Thanks Robbie, should I sand off as much paint as poss ? then when you say undercoat, do you mean like a gloss undercoat ?

I'm using the paint the Dulux trade center told me to use !! will be off back there for the undercoat now,

- do I thin it with terps ?

Many thanks again,

Paul

Robbie's right about plaster being overpolished,, not good at all. It is oil based undercoat he means,, go over the whole wall with the undercoat, using a roller, and also, the areas where the paint is at "different levels" as you call it,, if you can get a hold of a small amount of ready mix joint finish, (you wont need much), then these small areas can easily be flushed off using a 6 inch (or similar),, flexible taping knife,,, and then lightly sanded down when dry, with a "fine" sandpaper. I never thin down undercoat for sealing surfaces, but then i'm plastering over it. Robbie might thin it down if he's emulsioning over it though,,, he'll soon tell you. :LOL:

The link below shows a flexible taping knife.

http://z.about.com/d/garages/1/0/K/1/-/-/6-inch-taping-knife.jpg

Sponsored Links
I've had this with freshly plastered walls and found that its the areas where PVC has dripped onto the wall (when the ceiling was then plastered) - I found that I just had to layer the paint until the marks were covered, pain but got there in the end. Be very light with the roller else you'll pick off the last coat of paint that you applied.

Sand as much as you like but I found that the PVA had soaked in a fair way!

Hope this helps!

hi there i wondered how you got on with the paint on new plaster problem i just looked at your photo's and i have exactly the same problem and wondered what you did in the end to fix it. would appreciate it if you can help x

hi there i wondered how you got on with the paint on new plaster problem i just looked at your photo's and i have exactly the same problem and wondered what you did in the end to fix it. would appreciate it if you can help x

Vivikin, read the responses after the first post...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back