Painting plaster??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have plastered a ceiling with new plaster just filling parts..

This was about a week ago and now am painting with white matt paint which is fine but the 2 plastered filled parts seem to stick out??

I have tried to sand down but seem to be getting nowhere!

Is there away to cover plaster evenly with paint? any tips??

Have done 2 coats but can still see the plaster shape through it

Sponsored Links
First coat thinned by 25-30% followed by 2,3 or more coats depending on the quality of your emulsion..
If you bought it from B&Q or similar then lots of coats ;)

Yes, theres no set amount of coats you can apply, just keep applying till the dark areas are covered

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks,

Its not so much dark areas as a different finish from the plaster to the ceiling so the "shape" stands out a little..

Also on the same note we have had a roof light installed and obviously this has been plastered to blend in with the rest of the room... this is noticeable also..

So i'll keep applying the coats i think ;)

By shape do you mean the texture or is there a defined 'edge' to the patchwork? If so in either case it might be better to apply a very light skim of Easyfill or Tetrion ,I suggest one these as you'll find it very easy to then sand down to blend/'feather' in ...

If the plaster has not been blended with the surrounding area then no amount of paint coats is going to hide it. As suggested, Easyfill or one of the other easily sanded fillers should be used when blending in small repairs. Gysum plaster is not ideal for blended repairs due to its gritty nature & it can be very difficult (even for a pro) to achieve a seamlessly blended finish to the original without a little local filling; for me at least it's often better/easier/quicker re-skim the entire wall/ceiling. Gypsum plaster should not be sanded as it destroys the surface finish which will look a bit like brushed suede requiring even more painting to cover up.

I have been told to get some Fine Surface Filler to skim over this and feather into the wall

Is this easy to apply with a filling knife?

You can use a redimixed fine filler but it will work out expensive if you have a lot to do, Easyfill is much cheaper & just as good if not better. Use a broad jointing or taping knife or a trowel if you have one although a broad flexible scraper will do at a push. Pinch a kitchen spray bottle form the kitchen, fill with water & spray a little water over the area first but not too much, you want it damp not soaking wet; it stops the filler drying out too quickly, gives good adhesion, allows you to smooth it out better & so needs less sanding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back