Mortar for limestone fireplace surround; plus general tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of tackling this project myself... basically just putting in a limestone surround / backpanel / hearth around an existing gas fire.

What I would like to know is what mortar to use:

(a) for the joints between the limestone parts (or is this necessary, do the parts just sit flush to each other; the side columns are each in one piece, it's just the joints between the columns and the mantle / hearth / backpanel that I'm thinking of)

(b) for the infill behind the backpanel (the backpanels would be a couple of inches away from the existing wall, so would need to fill the gap with something; any hints?)

I've heard that the wrong mortar can lead to staining / leeching / discolouration of the limestone.

Thanks!! Any pointers to general information on how to install a limestone fire surround would be very helpful.

Mike

Sponsored Links
lime mortar i would think my old man would know but alas hes gone to that great masons yard in the sky :cry:

after you fit your panel the fire still has to be removable for servicing :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back