Mortar gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So for context, conservstory being built on 52cm dwarf wall using concrete blocks laid flat.

So building the wall and measured exactly where I need the gap for the French door to fit in. Problem is the blocks end short of this by 6.5cm.
So too small really to be chopping blocks, especially with them being 140mm thick not so easy to do that accurately.

I'm thinking I have two solutions but appreciate your thoughts...

1) mortar gap exceptionally wider, so between the 2 blocks that would mean mortar thickness of 4.25cm which does not seem right...

2) place a mortar gap of 1.7cm and use some 4x2 timber so close the gap. Screw that to the blocks then faster the door to the wood, or even I suppose some 150mm concrete screws and straight through the frame, wood and in to the concrete.

Thoughts please? Would there be any issued with 2).
I did think possible chop 2x blocks in to 30cm and do that but splitting these 140mm thick blocks doesn't split that accurately or straight inside.

Sponsored Links
Don't you own an angle grinder? If not go and buy one. Probably cheaper than a bolster and lump hammer these days.

You don't cut small blocks unless you want them falling out afterwards. What you should do is bond the blocks in properly so you have full blocks and half blocks at the jambs.

You don't cut small blocks unless you want them falling out afterwards. What you should do is bond the blocks in properly so you have full blocks and half blocks at the jambs.

That's why instead of cutting a 6cm block to complete the wall I was gonna take a full block out which is 44cm and create 2x 24.5 (allowing 1cm for mortar).
Is that what you mean or am I misunderstanding?
Or are you thinking of something different in terms of bring to wall up to the jamb?

Sponsored Links
65mm is quite doable with a bolster chisel . if you don’t have a grinder.

That's why instead of cutting a 6cm block to complete the wall I was gonna take a full block out which is 44cm and create 2x 24.5 (allowing 1cm for mortar).
Is that what you mean or am I misunderstanding?
Or are you thinking of something different in terms of bring to wall up to the jamb?
Yes that's correct.

Nothing smaller than a half at the end of a wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back