Mortar gun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How on earth do I get one of these to work properly?!

My builder says his works perfectly (same Roughneck model as mine) but mine is hopeless!

No matter what I do, when I pull the trigger the water just gets squeezed out of the mix and it goes too hard to be pushed through the nozzle...

I'm mixing it really well with a paddle mixer and a good amount of plasticiser, but nothing seems to help!

Sponsored Links
I think it helps when gravity is on your side like with slabs but I gave up.
Have you watched YouTube for guidance?
Definitely a knack to it

dns 1,
IME, They have a long history of uselessness after a short work time, even when using a slightly soft proportioned mix.
They only seem to work with a soupy mix - which is well useless for pointing.
Plus there's the endless filling the tube and/or washing out the nozzle.

I use a mortar gun for grouting large areas of ceramic tiles. I use a fairly wet mix and my apprentice (wife) follows up with the grouting tool as it starts to go off.
Yes, I can hear the professionals laughing already!

Sponsored Links
Getting the mix right with the correct sand is the key thing. In a mixer you need to mix it dry for 5 minutes, then add the water and plaz, but only enough to make it drier than you need. Let it mix for around 10 minutes to work enough air into the mix and you will probably find it's workable by then. Most people make the mistake of adding too much water to getting it workable enough.
Let it fatten up a bit for 10 minutes and then remix for another 5 adding water if needed.
Use a good quality soft building sand. Lime in the mix is also good.

Getting the mix right with the correct sand is the key thing. In a mixer you need to mix it dry for 5 minutes, then add the water and plaz, but only enough to make it drier than you need. Let it mix for around 10 minutes to work enough air into the mix and you will probably find it's workable by then. Most people make the mistake of adding too much water to getting it workable enough.
Let it fatten up a bit for 10 minutes and then remix for another 5 adding water if needed.
Use a good quality soft building sand. Lime in the mix is also good.
Stuart brings the science!

I use a mortar gun for grouting large areas of ceramic tiles. I use a fairly wet mix and my apprentice (wife) follows up with the grouting tool as it starts to go off.
Yes, I can hear the professionals laughing already!

That's a great idea!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back