Mortar joint thickness at wall starter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, another question about my porch...

Re-building the inside wall for my porch (where the porch meets the hallway) around the door lining. Im using metal wall starters however because i cut the blocks too short my mortar joints at the edges over the wall starter are 2.5cm wide. Is this acceptable or would it make the wall too weak should i have to kick the door in? (Yes i lock myself out all the time lol). Im worried the mortar will crack.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you won’t see it (if it’s getting rendered if it’s the outer leaf or plasterboarded over it being the inner) I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

It will be bonded (i hate plasterboard lol), if i have to boot the door in again and the mortar cracks it could come through plaster. Hoping the chances of it cracking are slim.
Ive only done 4 courses of block so far as i started late this afternoon. I could carry on with a thinner joint it just means i have to go buy more blocks and cut them.

Sponsored Links
I have a better solution that worrying about the thickness of the joint.

Use yer brain not yer size 10

Attachments

• 21566D63-919A-4225-A666-B82E3C8EC0FA.png
    21566D63-919A-4225-A666-B82E3C8EC0FA.png
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 195
Polysulphide sealant (or the latest alternative ) might be better for a joint that thick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back