Mortar Mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Architect has specified that full fill cavity walls should be built with 1:1:6 cement mortar; just wanted to confirm what that means?

is that 1 Lime : 1 Cement : 6 Sand?

I will be planning on using BlueCircle Mastercrete Cement - do I still need to get the lime added?

Is there any difference between above DPC and below DPC mortar mixture requirements?

Walls will be support the first floor and second floor (loft) eventually

Steve.

Sponsored Links
Yes, 1 Lime to 1 Cement to 6 Sand. Rather than lime, I just use Opti-Mix plasticiser by Ever Build.

Below DPC, I prefer to use 1:4 mix and if using engineering bricks, 1:3.

The theory is, the mortar mix should be weaker than the material you're using. For garden walls to last, I always use 1:3 mix. The only time I add lime is when repointing with a mortar gun, otherwise it won't come out.

Why has he specified the same mix for both leafs of a cavity wall?

The lime in a mix does more than just plasticise, but aids permanent flexibility.

Mastetcrete does not plasticise mortar, despite the marketing men's best efforts.

Sponsored Links
Ah Ok cool - I already have a Mortar Plasticiser - Sealocrete Sealomix so that sould be fine?

Why has he specified the same mix for both leafs of a cavity wall?

The lime in a mix does more than just plasticise, but aids permanent flexibility.

Mastetcrete does not plasticise mortar, despite the marketing men's best efforts.

I'll need to check with him about why same mix for both leafs - i didn't think it made it a difference? and also i'll need to check about below dpc vs above dpc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back