Mortar Mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice in regards to Mortar Mix for pointing. Any ideas how I can get a similar color to the brick work mortar? The pictures on the Blue Circle ready to use mix suggests once dry it will be a similar color (although not exact), although the small print says it dry's a light grey color were I would say the current mortar is a sand/redish colour.

Any advice please?

1675000913417.png
1675001001034.png

Sponsored Links
Totally depends on the sand, and the brick it’s being applied to. All you can do is do a test patch on the same type of brick. Pics on bags are meaningless in this context.
You can try the ready mix and may get lucky on the colour but otherwise you want (red) building sand and cement, in something like a 1:5 mix. Going stronger (more cement) will make it less brown and more grey

Edit - I assumed you’d already bought the readymix. If not, I wouldn’t bother. go for a bag of sand and one of cement. You can at least play with the ratios then

Bag of red sand from your local merchant. Mix 1:5 and do a couple of patches. Allow to dry and check?

PS. Volume builders don't use colouring additives. Pinkish mortar is almost always just red sand. There's a small chance it might have been a silo readymix but very unlikely unless the site is very large.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back