German/Mortar smear transparency in rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have built a wall in garden from cheap modern bricks.

They are orange with random brown patches, but I wanted an "older" looking finish. I have applied a mortar wash, by taking very thin amount of Blue Circle Ready Mix mortar, and smearing it over the wall with a cloth - I then rinsed it off a little.

Once dried the result is great, orange colour has been toned down and it looks quite old. I am very pleased with the effect.

However, whenever it rains, the mortar wash becomes transparent and the original brick colour shows through. How can I stop this happening? Once dry again, the nice hazy wash re-appears.

But I would like to stop the mortar wash going transparent when wet.

Any ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Daddy Manky, good evening.

Can I suggest that you try [on as inconspicuous area as possible] painting on some natural yogurt? the yogurt will "encourage" the formation of surface mould and a natural ageing process can be accelerated.

If your test area works, then apply Yogurt to the entire wall.

Ken.

Hi Ken,

Yes I have heard of this - but does it actually work? How long does it take? Be great to see some before/after pictures.

I was looking for a chemical fix for the problem - i.e. some solution to paint over my mortar to stop it absorbing rain water.

DM

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Ken for link to product.

However, for sake of others reading this - I am NOT looking to change how my bricks look again. I have already done that with a mortar smear and the results are great. My problem is that when it rains the mortar smear goes transparent. I am looking for something to apply over the mortar smear to stop that happening.

How about one of the proprietary external brick "water proofers" the sort of brush or spray on liquids.

May need to be done on an annual basis ?

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back