Mortar Quantities

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to work out the amount of sand and cement i need for mortar to build a wall 9m long by 1m high.

I am going to be using concrete blocks (215mmx100mmx440mm) laid flat so the wall will be 215mm wide. I have worked out i will need around 189 blocks using 10mm mortar joins.

Even a rough idea would be very helpfull. I have tried doing a search but could not find anything for blocks laid flat.

Two calculators i found online gave hugely different results also.

thanks
Trevor

Sponsored Links
Hi, trevor,
the quants for mortar are only a rough guide because the bricks/blocks in use vary so much,
for example if you were using flettons (common bricks with a frog,) laid as they should be frog up, you would use more than if you were using 3 hole bricks.
the general rule of thumb is that a ton of sand lays a thousand bricks and the blocks to back them up 20m2 (as I recall)
So if your wall was a cavity wall of 20m2 then a ton, or 20 bags of sand would be more than enough.
however you are building (the equivalent of) two skins of 4" blockwork. and only 18m2, so I would expect 10 cwt. of sand and 5 1/2cwt cement will be enough.

Thanks for the quick responce Chessspy.

I will go with that plus a bit extra for spare.

cheers
Trevor

Good idea Trev,
sand doesn't go off, and you can always slip out for an extra bag of dust.

Sponsored Links
then a ton, or 20 bags of sand would be more than enough.

20 bags, that's old money chesss!

the lilly livered, interfering h&s brigade have insisted bags be no heavier than 25kg's. 1cwt bags are sooooo, not allowed. :rolleyes:

so it is 40 now!

mind you i,m not complaining.:cool:

thanks for all replies...have ordred 1.25 tonnes of sand and 12 bags cement so will see how far i get with that.

cheers
Trevor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back