Mortice locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this isn't really my area so am completely clueless!
How do you measure up a mortice lock so it can be replaced? Is the 2,1/2" and 3" referring to the depth of the lock? The ones to be replaced are made by ERA - I think they are deadlocks? (the handles don't connect into them)

Sponsored Links
Yes the 2 1/2" or 3" refers to the depth of the case.

The Backset is the distance from the edge of the door to the centre of the spindle

Jason

Sponsored Links
The 2 1/2" and 3" are converted to Metric, and the measurements vary slightly. So it is better to use the same make again.

The latest ERA lock is called the "Fortress" range (BS3621:2007) and is a very good lock. You will observe it has a large brass bolt, with four (yes, four!) steel pins in it.

Some of the ERA locks around, especially on Ebay, are old stock from ranges like pro-fit and do not meet the latest British Standard.

They are still OK for internal doors but may not satisfy insurers who may demand the current British Standard.

For some reason I cannot underestand, the ERA Fortess Locks sold as "Classic" come with three keys, and the others with just two.

A Deadlock just has a key-operated bolt. A Sashlock has this, plus a handle-operated latch in the same case, so is a bit taller.

see http://www.era-security.com/acrobat_files/Mortice Locks.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back