Mortise latches versus roller catches on internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a slightly random question relating to people who are wheelchair bound and might find mortice latches on internal doors a bit of a nuisance.

I was thinking today that is used to be the case that many a house dating from the 30s-60s had roller latches on the internal doors where a quick shove opens them - but I can't remember the last time I saw an internal door which wasn't a mortice latch these days.

The main reason I can think of why this might be the case is to provide a more robust shut for fire spread prevention, but I can't find anything in the regs to support that theory. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
roller latches can be quiet. Usually they need a handle or knob to withdraw them. I should think they cost more to make than mortice latches, but they are still made in small numbers. You occasionally see them on ebay. Usually made by Union but branded "Wellesley" or "Wellington"

You can still get catches, which can be pushed open and shut without using a handle.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/adjustable-roller-catch-nickel-plated-5-pack/35788

unless carefully adjusted, they may blow open, or stick shut.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Latches-Bolts/180967/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=roller+catch

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks John - I know it's still possible to get them, but I just hadn't seen them used on internal doors in many years and wondered if there was a specific reason. If I look at my house (80s), the internal doors have always been mortice except for the one for the understairs cupboard which is a roller ball catch.

Roller catches are not used because doors fitted with them can rattle, and be opened by pressure such as opening a window or other door.

So I suspect that is more to do with modern lightweight doors and home design which makes them unsuitable because of those problems.

I don't think it's fire related, as the fire regulations don't apply to the majority of homes.

Houses and bungalows on an estate not far from me, from the 60's, have mortice latches with a roller built in to the catch. This allows the door to be pushed closed smoothly without needing to use the levers, and then the latch engages. I've looked for similar ones but can't find any. I think they are a great idea.

Sponsored Links
there were several innovative locks and latches made by under the Wellington/Wellesley brand.

My favourites were the nightlatches with a yale-like cylinder that contained a miniature 5-lever lock. With a tiny key. I bought a few from the warehouse clearance of an family locksmith's firm when the old fella died. I see they still retail at £48 but no longer brass.

View media item 4133
There is a 5-lever rim deadlock that is still used in Utility cabins, now branded Union.
https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Marston-5D-Trafalgar-Wellington-Rim-Deadlock.html

Last edited:
It's like someone's hacked Woody's account. Or upped his medication or something.

mortice latches with a roller built in to the catch. This allows the door to be pushed closed smoothly without needing to use the levers, and then the latch engages.
Is that basically the same effect you get from a double-sprung mortice latch?

Righty then, just over two years on from this post I've finally gotten around to fitting these. :rolleyes:

I've changed our flimsy doors to some nice solid ones and fitted these Union Wellington Waterloo latches and couldn't be more happy. Just a light push and the doors silently latch without needing to pull the door lever down. And then they stay firmly shut like a normal latch. Even the strike plate looks good and is easy to fit.

I don't know why these are not more commonly used, they really are the dogs *******s.

So there we have it, serendipity in action - I make a chance visit to a random bungalow, notice the smooth way the doors close, JD sees my post, two years later my back's killing me but I'm as high as a kite.

So thanks for that @JohnD , I hope these latches are still available after Brexit :cautious: (y)

www.uniononline.co.uk/en/site/union-online/products/mortice-locks/wellington-locks/2a---wellington-waterloo-latch/

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back