Mosaics on bathroom floor

G

Goldspoon

I am doing the plumbing for a bathroom and have been asked to do the floor tiling (walls being painted only). I have tiled a fair bit but I have not used mosaics on the floor before - he has purchased mosaics (the Scrabble sort of size).

P1020714.jpg

Any tips?

My first thoughts are... great, no tile cutting!

Other thoughts though...

Because one cannot cut... what happens at the edges if one cannot quite get a whole row in but one does not wish to have a half mosaic space?

The adhesive is white but the grout ivory... surely if some adhesive squeezes up into the gaps then the white will show through in places when the ivory grout is later added... or am I worrying too much?

I have been provided with some sealer. On the tin it just says to secure the tiles in place then use a roller or brush. I presume this is before grouting? Last time I sealed I used a spray bottle - is this the better way?

Sorry for so many questions. I generally try to pass tiling to a tiler but sometimes it makes sense to do it oneself and the job is on a tight timescale.

Floor will be exterior ply 18mm overlayed 12mm and well screwed down.

Sponsored Links
makes me shudder, a horrible job!

how big is it?

and rather than half a tile gap why not measure it so you get it even either side?

as for the adh seeping through make sure you use a small trowell and make sure its a perfect floor, if the floor isnt perfect you fighting a losing battle from day 1

how big is it?

It's about 3.5mX3.5m

besides your tips why does it make you shudder?

also - surely mosaics are the best for a non-flat floor?

The floor is flat by the way :)

When it comes to tiles this size centering them up is the best way forward, there's simply no way you can start cutting them individually.

What's happening with the walls here, getting tiled, skirting tile? these could hide any small gaps that are left where the tiles don't quite reach the walls.

I have only ever used an Epoxy grout for these types of tiles, partly because they are often glass and partly because the manufacturer specifies this.

I feel you will struggle using a Wide joint sandy grout like that, I doubt the manufacturers spacing is 3mm for these is it?

Sponsored Links

how big is it?

It's about 3.5mX3.5m

besides your tips why does it make you shudder?

also - surely mosaics are the best for a non-flat floor?

The floor is flat by the way :)

i just hate mosaics on floors, thats not saying i wouldnt do it.

if you dont get it perfect it shows, small tiles on floors dont work in my opinion, but im sure around are a few that say opposite to me, usually are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back