Moss on driveway, best way to remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was after some adive on what's best to use to remove loss on a tarmac driveway?

I've a pressure sprayer which I could use cheap bleach?

Bac 50?
Patio magic?

Any advice? I'd also like to use it on my Indian sandstone slabs.

Sponsored Links
Patio Magic (and Wet & Forget) are basically dilute forms of BAC 50. BAC 50 is a 50% solution of benzalkonium chloride.

It depends on how thick the moss is. If I get round to doing my tarmac before the moss gets too bad then I just spray it with BAC 50 diluted to the right level. If I have let it get too thick I scrape the worst off it off first.

Lightly Hose down driveway.

Spray or Pour bleach as undiluted as possible onto moss or whatever you want to clean

Leave for a few hours or overnight

Pressure wash

Sponsored Links
I figured I might aswell do next doors so it's a double drive.

Yes I keep reading about Bac 50 but I'm worried it'll damaged the sandstone if I used it on the patio area as well or would it bleach or damage artificial grass? It's fine to use on the driveway.

Looks like it's going to be a yearly thing

Yes I keep reading about Bac 50 but I'm worried it'll damaged the sandstone if I used it on the patio area as well or would it bleach or damage artificial grass? It's fine to use on the driveway.
No real idea about sandstone, I have only used it on tarmac. But I would be rather surprised if it bleached anything, as that is not the mechanism by which it kills moss, etc. You could try it on an inconspicuous area.

FYI, I sprayed my front yard last Friday (5th) when it looked like this
20240405_183641.jpg 20240405_183655.jpg

By the following Monday it looked like this
20240411_110822.jpg 20240411_110834.jpg

I used it at a rate of 100ml of BAC 50 diluted with 1500ml of water.

Looks like it's going to be a yearly thing
Could well be. I have a very tatty, north facing front yard, so ideal conditions for it. If you can keep the driveway in good condition then there will be fewer places for it to grow in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back