Moss treatment

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking for some guidance and advice regarding the treatment of moss on my roof. Is it possible to handle the moss treatment myself, or should I hire a professional? What factors should I consider when making this decision, such as cost, safety, and the complexity of the treatment?

Sponsored Links
Any roof treatment must be very gentle - certainly no pressure washing or wire brushing!
Our roofs over here are usually slate or concrete tile - unsure what yours are made of!
Chemical sprays may work in the short term, but unless the moss is becoming a serious issue then it could be best to leave it alone.......I'm surrounded by trees so the moss issue is relevant, and I use a broad but blunt paint scraper fixed to a long length of dowel to gently lift the moss when it is wet.
John :)

Looking for some guidance and advice regarding the treatment of moss on my roof. Is it possible to handle the moss treatment myself, or should I hire a professional? What factors should I consider when making this decision, such as cost, safety, and the complexity of the treatment?
This is a UK site, most roofing professionals recommend against moss removal as you are more likely to cause damage and for most the moss is harmless.

Sponsored Links
I agree, it's pretty harmless for most. It can be annoying when it's falling off onto your driveway or collecting in the gutters, but I've seen no end of birds collect it to build nests so I'd rather that that than me get rid of it for something being slightly annoying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back