Roof moss removal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I was wondering what's the safest way for a DIY'er to remove moss from the roof tiles? It's a two storey mid terrace house, one side is perfectly clean as it's constantly blazed with sun (well, if there is any sun left in Scotland) but the other is completely covered in moss. I have an extension ladder, it's very sturdy in normal use but when I've tried to extend it so it reaches the gutters it becomes terribly wobbly. The fact I'm 6'10" and 23st doesn't really help that matter lol. Is it doable for a DIYer or should it be left for pro's?
It's not a big house (3 bedrooms) but when phoned local companies all wanted to charge in excess of £300 and wanted to charge for gutter cleaning on top of that. And that is for one side of the roof! Am I a cheap bastard or is it a bit to steep?

Sponsored Links
Considering that it will probably be two guys earning £100 a day and who'll have all the necessary equipment, do you think it's expensive to do that job? As a joiner I'm used to working at heights in cherry pickers and up scaffolding towers, but I won't go scrabbling around on roofs given any opportunity to avoid it, so I pay to have roof work done on my own house

I had no idea! I was certain somebody mentioned that excessive moss allows for moisture to remain longer on the roof, therefore causing deterioration of roof tiles.

The website you've provided states that moss should be removed if it's blocking gutters and in my case gutters are completely choked to the point that when it rains bits of moss fall on my doorsteps. Blocked gutters also cause rainwater to leak through gutter joints and splashing on the house render. Should I leave it be regardless?

Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
Considering that it will probably be two guys earning £100 a day and who'll have all the necessary equipment, do you think it's expensive to do that job? As a joiner I'm used to working at heights in cherry pickers and up scaffolding towers, but I won't go scrabbling around on roofs given any opportunity to avoid it, so I pay to have roof work done on my own house

I'm genuinely surprised. I thought as a tradesman you would be doing everything in your house yourself? Or am I wrong? I'm only a DIYer, my full time occupation has nothing in common with trade.

I'm genuinely surprised. I thought as a tradesman you would be doing everything in your house yourself? Or am I wrong?
I do most of it, but there are things where I have to draw the line because of the law (e.g gas work). I came (slid/fell) off a roof about 12 or 13 years back, fortunately with only a bruised derriere and dented pride to show for it, so I have first hand experience of that particular "journey". So, whilst I'm happy to work on a scaffolding tower, falling off a roofing ladder, breaking a leg and being off work for 10 to 12 weeks with no income really isn't an option as far as I'm concerned! So I let somebody a bit younger take the risks

Last edited by a moderator:
It does make sense I suppose. I know most of body parts but never heard of derriere until I googled it just now lol.

I presume the only answer is to get the tradesmen in.

Thanks a lot! :)

I had no idea! I was certain somebody mentioned that excessive moss allows for moisture to remain longer on the roof, therefore causing deterioration of roof tiles.

The website you've provided states that moss should be removed if it's blocking gutters and in my case gutters are completely choked to the point that when it rains bits of moss fall on my doorsteps. Blocked gutters also cause rainwater to leak through gutter joints and splashing on the house render. Should I leave it be regardless?

Cheers guys.

If you get the moss removed, it will grow back and the method of removal may damage the face of your tiles ( hand scraping is the recommended way, pressure washing is a no no).

On balance, I would just leave it alone, put in a downpipe wire trap and keep your gutters cleaned regularly

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073QXP...t=&hvlocphy=1006661&hvtargid=pla-420483170626

They have minimal root systems, which they use for purchase rather than sustenance, and they do little or no damage to sound tiles or slates. Most of them, together with lichens, are a symbiotic partnership of a fungus and an alga, living as one unit and thriving on nutrients brought to them by the rain washing down bird droppings.

They may, in fact, slow down the rain as it approaches the guttering and provide partial protection from frost damage. Far from being unsightly, they give a mellowness to buildings.

It can get out of hand in some damp and shady situations but on most roofs there really is not a problem. The copper strip solution can produce its own staining, which is to my mind far less attractive

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance...y-clinic-ignore-the-myths-love-your-moss.html

I would leave and clean gutters after heavy rain during summer ( moss dries and gets washed into gutters).

Cheers guys.
Sometimes the reason you see moss on your doorstep is because the crows knock it off when they are looking for grubs.

To keep the moss away, or reduce it - run some bare copper wires across the roof, so that the copper sulphate which forms on the copper will wash down the roof and kill the moss. The surface area of copper the more effective it is.

Thanks for all your input lads. I think the possibility of crows knocking off moss is decent as I have seen few of them enjoying their time on my roof :D
After all I've read from you I decided to buy some of those wire balls that keep chunky stuff from blocking the downpipe. Also, a brilliant idea came to my mind, there are some local guys coming every so often and cleaning all windows for a fiver, I will just ask them whether they would be willing to clean my gutters. Which I believe will turn into much better deal than £300. I feel lied to now, knowing moss removal is a cosmetic thing at most in majority of situations. I will have my moss removed one day when I will be ready to sell this house so it looks decent when on the market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back