Most efficient way to heat water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With a combi which is the most effecient method for heating water ?
Do you set the boiler temperature so the temp at the tap is ideal or set it higher so you have to add cold ?
I'm guessing the 1st way the boiler is working for longer but at a lower temperature.
Probably wouldn't make much difference for a sink but for a bath I'm sure there must be a preferred way

Sponsored Links
Mostly personal preferences.

Any increase in efficiency will be minimal in practice.

One of my Chinese customers used to set hers at 43 C so that she did not need to add any cold water to showers.

I also used to do that but some might suggest there could be legionella risks although I would not subscribe to that.

Many people like very hot water, say 55-60 C, for doing washing up as it improves removing oil.

Tony

Depends what your trying to achieve. You'll get better flow rate by mixing downstream, depending on the rating of the boiler. Efficiency will be somewhat similar, but there will be a peak in efficiency for a certain flow/temperature combo for the boiler which you would have to determine

Mostly personal preferences.

Any increase in efficiency will be minimal in practice.

One of my Chinese customers used to set hers at 43 C so that she did not need to add any cold water to showers.

I also used to do that but some might suggest there could be legionella risks although I would not subscribe to that.

Many people like very hot water, say 55-60 C, for doing washing up as it improves removing oil.

Tony
60 C Tony, that's some f.cking Combi!!! 15 C max incoming cold mains temp & a temp rise of 35 C = 50 C.
Hey, what's 10 C between friends.

Sponsored Links
With a combi which is the most effecient method for heating water ?
Do you set the boiler temperature so the temp at the tap is ideal or set it higher so you have to add cold ?
I'm guessing the 1st way the boiler is working for longer but at a lower temperature.
Probably wouldn't make much difference for a sink but for a bath I'm sure there must be a preferred way

I'd always advocate setting it to maximum DD. Especially if the wife or husband(I'll not judge) wants a hot bath.
Depending on the size of the Combi, the flow rate is limited to give you maximum HW temperature & the temperature 'rise' is generally around 35*C, as I detailed above.

Depends what your trying to achieve. You'll get better flow rate by mixing downstream, depending on the rating of the boiler. Efficiency will be somewhat similar, but there will be a peak in efficiency for a certain flow/temperature combo for the boiler which you would have to determine

Really??!!!! Most Combi boilers will run at their maximum to produce hot water, so I don't know where you're getting that drivel from?

Really??!!!! Most Combi boilers will run at their maximum to produce hot water, so I don't know where you're getting that drivel from?
If you have the temperature set to 40° and turn your tap on to the minimum required to trigger the flow switch are you saying a combi would try to dump 40kW into the water??

Last edited:
If you have the temperature set to 40° and turn your tap on to the minimum required to trigger the flow switch are you saying a combi would try to dump 40kW into the water??
Depends if you have a 40kw combi ;)

Who said anything about a 40KW combi??!! Anyway, the full boiler output is diverted to heat the plate HX if the HW Pot is set to maximum, of course it'll modulate the burner depending on the flow rate & HW temperature.

Where are you getting your information from other Google Warriors?

Who said anything about a 40KW combi??!! Anyway, the full boiler output is diverted to heat the plate HX if the HW Pot is set to maximum, of course it'll modulate the burner depending on the flow rate & HW temperature.

Where are you getting your information from other Google Warriors?

Ok, that was my point, the OP was querying adjusting the temperature dial or running it at full pelt.

Ok, that was my point, the OP was querying adjusting the temperature dial or running it at full pelt.
Not full pelt at all.Offhand I couldn't tell you what full pelt is.
This installer left it on a setting that meant I needed to add cold water to make it right for me.....so I knocked it down a notch or 2 until it didn't need cold adding.
I was querying which setting is more efficient..... especially regarding filling a bath

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back