Most powerful shower for combi system please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had an electric shower installed about 4 years ago that is so bad it takes me a year to wash my hair! Now broken and so I have chance to replace with a good shower. I have a Greenstar 28i junior boiler (combi condenser) installed and I am open to any way of making sure I get the most powerful shower possible!

Mira suggest a mixer shower, but confused why best selling (mira excel ev) only 5 litres/min when have some showers that are 10 litres/min - would not 10 litres/min be more powerful?

Would electric be better and any chance of adding a pump?

Be grateful for any help :)

Sponsored Links
A normal mixer shower that takes both a hot and cold feed will be fine.

However since you have a combi boiler I recommend having another
electric shower in case of a boiler breakdown.

Any 9.5Kw electric shower should give a reasonable shower.

As you have found, electric showers don't give a good showering experience. Also, they are expensive to run. A 28Kw combi should mean a very good shower from a mixer.

I know the arguments for having an electric shower as back up for when a combi breaks down. Why suffer a rubbish electric shower every single day, to allow for the fact that your boiler might break down every 2 or 3 years? Hardly a big deal if your shower is out of action for a day or two. As they used to say - bath with a friend!

I have a Mira combiforce shower valve, as it is one of the best mixers on the market. Not only is the flow great, but it is pressure balancing to keep the temp constant, even if the incomming water fluctuates. The only downside with this unit is that the shower flow isn't adjustable (obviously the temp is) - it's either off or Niagara. These can either be installed with concealed or surface mounted H and C supply pipes.

http://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/26314.htm

To be honest though, even a £100 good quality thermostatic bar mixer will give a great shower, compared to electric. The advantage compared to the Combiforce is that on most, you can adjust the flow from the shower, as well as the temp.

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/mira-co...gleBase&utm_medium=GB&utm_campaign=GoogleBase

Thank you - that's really helpful - I have been looking at the Mira mixers, but confused by the pricing - is it worth spending £300+ on the Mira Excel EV which apparently is the best selling shower in the UK?

Would I be paying just for the look and be able to get just as powerful a flow with a cheaper version or would I be paying extra for the technology that would ensure a better flow?

I don't mind paying for the best tech, but as long as it look okay, I'm not worried about the look. Just want the best shower my system can take!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I would definitely recommend a thermostaic mixer shower with your system even the best and most powerful electric showers don't touch a mixer in terms of flow rate. Please bear in mind that with a combi boiler the flow rate at your shower is determined by the the cold water pressure into your house and the hot water flow rating of your boiler (11.4 L/m for 28i greenstar) as you can't use shower pumps with combi boiler systems. you will get the same flow rate from a £100.00 shower as a £1000.00 shower as long as you don't have a large rain/drencher style shower head.

The difference in price generally reflects the quality of the components and metals used to make the showers and you do pay extra for having a big brand name.

Hope this helps.
BathClick

Yes, go for a good mixer shower. Get one that is designed to be fed from a combi, there are specific models for just this.

Just go to toolstation or srewfix & buy a thermostatic bar mixer suitable for a combi, they are surface mounted so easy to repair or replace.

Yup, if it's buried behind tiles then the extra cash for future maintenance ability is a good investment. For a simple "bar" mixer (flow one end, temp the other) any known make would make sense.

Do look at shower heads . Some combine air with the water, which makes them feel like there's a lot more water comin atcha. The ones you get included don't usually do that. But 28 kW should be fine anyway!

Thank you - that's really helpful - I have been looking at the Mira mixers, but confused by the pricing - is it worth spending £300+ on the Mira Excel EV which apparently is the best selling shower in the UK?

Would I be paying just for the look and be able to get just as powerful a flow with a cheaper version or would I be paying extra for the technology that would ensure a better flow?

I don't mind paying for the best tech, but as long as it look okay, I'm not worried about the look. Just want the best shower my system can take!

Yes, the Excel is another good option. The advantage over the Combiforce is that the flow is adjustable. The Mira sales patter reckons 3 times the flow with an Excel compared to similar mixers. You are buying good engineering and performance.

Yes, it's expensive, but it should last many years. Even when it does go wrong, spares will be readily available. If ever I need a new mixer, it's the one I would buy.

http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/online... showers&resultPageKey=2000826190-0&category=

I am also searching for a mixer shower to work with a new combi, for new house renovation.

I've been looking at Mira range but the one that has the classic round shower head with built in valve is Mira Elemantal BIR. Is this any good with a combi? Don't mind spending more for quality but do want a round head shower and Excel does not come with that shower head.

Or can I just buy Excel valve and buy the round shower head elsewhere, would that work?

Apart from Mira, which other company has a similar quality and performance, only know of Mira.

Or can I just buy Excel valve and buy the round shower head elsewhere, would that work?

Apart from Mira, which other company has a similar quality and performance, only know of Mira.

Yes, Elemental and Excel both suitable for combis. I think you will find that both these mixers are available seperately, or in a set with the head.

Grohe are also top quality.

http://www.grohe.com/uk/4756/bathroom/shower-thermostats/

Thanks for the reply.

What do you think of Aqualisa, better than Mira in terms of quality.

Grohe I take it beats all of them for quality and reliability?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back