MOT and NCT fail refusals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the situation is in relation to rust on the car exterior? My brother failed his car test because there was a very small hole in one of the car wings. The hole was rusted. He was told it was a visual fail refusal and that he should get it fixed and bring the car back to be inspected again for free, to make sure the problem was fixed. So why is that a fail refusal first off, and then, what repairs would be needed? Could one just sand it down, fill with polyfilla, sand and spray over the filling? Or is something more required?

Sponsored Links
A vehicle is only normally failed for rust if its close to a structural area or its causing danger, sharp edge etc, you really need to find what category its in.

Peter

330te3b.jpg

Looks sharp. Maybe that's the prob? It's just above the wheel. A bit pixelated as it's from a cr@p phone!! Sorry! :)

Thats not a structural area, and would pass over here (so long as thats all there is!). Any sharp edges that could injure are a no no though.
Maybe the bumper is secured nearby?
Time for the Davids Isopon, I think!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Indeed they do Peter - together with Plastic Padding type elastic.
In the distant past, my cars had significantly more of those compounds than they did original steel......any collision would have been sorted by a dust pan and brush :p

From our experience you will have to get a patch welded in, then go back for inspection. Spot welding or MIG welding will be less invasive, need less tidying afterwards.

After passing, you can fill with your chosen filler and paint.

As far as I know they will not pass the repair if it is finished, or filled with compound.

But, by all means give them a call to double check, our local guys are very helpful

Hell - it would seem that there is something going for the Blighty MOT after all.....absolutely no need to weld that hole!

Mursal, what if he lets the recheck date pass by, and in the meantime fills and paints up and then just sends the car through the full test again? Might that work? ;)

I don't think that will work, because he will have made a note of the failure on the cars record?

You could have filled it with body filler before the test, but as long as they put it down as an issue, as far as I know filling will not be adequate. But double check, they may have relaxed the rules on this.

Don't try and play them as fools, or they will make life very hard and expensive, for example if it went through again and they failed it on 5 major issues?

Ok Thanks Mursal. Is it expensive to have it patched by a body shop for something that is about the size of a €2 coin?

You could of course fill the hole, spray the filling, underseal the back of the patch and submit the car elsewhere......thats what we unscrupulous English do anyway :p

No, it will cost whatever they say, depending on how busy they are.

Please double check with the test centre first.

Did you consider a secondhand wing, or make it look as though its a secondhand replacement wing?

The only reason I don't like the idea of a retest, you might be out more money (especially if they were lenient with the first test) than the cost of repair.

How much is the test, plus whatever the new centre finds?

Sponsored Links
Back