Mot fail on suspension ball joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Failed on 'front suspension ball joint dust cover' being split.
Am I right in thinking this is the wishbone ball joint where it connects to the wheel strut?
And will I have to replace the complete wishbone with new one (tricky job?)
Car is a 1994 Polo, (the old mk2 type)

Went to an MOT only place so they don't do the work, but have ten days left for a free retest.

Sponsored Links
You don't say what car you have. But yes, it must be the wishbone one, the other one would be called the track rod end. You can replace the whole thing for about 40ish quid, which obviously includes new bushes too. But you could probably change just the joint for about £20. I'd change the whole wishbone personally. Easy enough job with a splitter and a lever. In fact, just a lever might do it... ;)

Edit to add - that's DIY prices of course.

That's a reason not to go to 'MOT' only. ok they wont fail to get work, but pain in the R's to go elsewhere.

That's a reason not to go to 'MOT' only. ok they wont fail to get work, but pain in the R's to go elsewhere.
I go to a MOT only place and have never had any problems and tester has always been happy to show what any problem was if I asked. Plus most around my area will do free partial retest within the 10 day partial retest period.

If it is just the cover split and not worn joint why not just replace the dust cover if joint is clean inside?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, edited now, Polo Coupe.
I can't find any reference to the cover, or indeed the ball joint being available separately.

I'm not bothered about having to get the work done elsewhere, just making sure I've got the terminology right before tackling it.
Have a bit of welding to be done by a family friend, I'll ask him if he wants to do the wishbone as well. Otherwise I'll have a crack at it.

That'll be the Polo Fox, maybe? Good little motor.
The ball joint is integral with the wishbone, I'm pretty sure - and not such a bad job to do. If the boot has been split for a while, then muck will be certainly in there, but some motor factors stock universal joint rubbers (that means they will fit bu--er all in reality :p )
John :)

Yeh, same as a fox. New wishbone is only £20- £30ish, looks fairly doable :rolleyes:
Which is the best joint separator, fork type or scissor?

You will find it hard to find a bespoke dust cover for your car. However, one of your local motor factors will stock universal dust covers ( usually in packs of 5). If you are gonna diy this will only cost you about £10. You will need to remove the old one first and take it along with you so you get the right size.
I had to do this on my expert van and used a fork splitter.

Sponsored Links
Back