MOT Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

Might sound like a daft question . . .

My car currently doesn't have a spare (it was knackered so i chucked it)

My mot is due next month. is it compulsory to have a spare tyre?

I have space in the boot where my old one was.

Sponsored Links
Not that I know of.

But what do you do if you get a puncture? Why chuck the old one? Would have been better to stick a new tyre on it surely?

hi,

basically i bought the car last yr and the guy didnt know it had a spare i didnt until about 8 months later when i got slow puncture.

I'm going to get a new one just moneys tight so just needed to know if once was needed for the mot (feb is a crap month mot and tax both due!)

Your local breaker should have a wheel for you, whether normal size or the narrow space saver type.

Good luck with the dreaded MOT

Sponsored Links
Not needed.....I only wish my car came with one from new - all you get is a can of sealant and a mini compressor :eek:
Idiotic!
John :)

As Burnerman says, a spare wheel & tyre is not needed & if present would not be inspected as part of the MOT.

If you're interested, the link below points to a guide published by VOSA about the MOT test including a list of the vehicle parts which will be tested:

[Your car and the MOT]

Your local car breakers is likely the best bet - that or ebay.

I'd get a full size wheel or just a space saver if your stuck for space.

The spare is not required under the MOT, but do not put a defective wheel/tyre in as a spare, as that IS inspected because it shows your intention and ability to replace a road-wheel.

The spare is not required under the MOT, but do not put a defective wheel/tyre in as a spare, as that IS inspected because it shows your intention and ability to replace a road-wheel.

A tester may look at the spare and if it is defective could well give you a bit of, probably deserved, verbal advise that the spare isn't legeal and might be worth your replacing it but as said not part of the MOT..

The MoT manual said:
This inspection applies to tyres fitted to the road
wheels only. The vehicle presenter should be
informed when it is noticed that there is a defective
tyre on a spare wheel.

has this changed then?
i was always lead to believe that if a spare was insitu then it had to comply.

Yes I seem to recall that too. I'm not sure of the change date, but that was from the latest manual from VOSA's website.

Sponsored Links
Back