Motion detector for security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to get a motion detector which calls me from my garage. Think it needs a sim and is battery operated. Just want to know if someone is in my garage. Any recommendations for where I can buy one from?

Sponsored Links
Think it needs a sim and is battery operated.

How far from the house is the garage ? The mention of a SIM suggests you are thinking of a mobile phone system.

This would work but could you get to the garage fast enough to deal with the intruder if you were not at home a the time.

Better option would be to set off a sound bomb inside the garage to drive the intruder out.

Dummy alarm,or camera with flashing light .
Better to make garage more secure than know when it’s broken into .

How far from the house is the garage ? The mention of a SIM suggests you are thinking of a mobile phone system.

This would work but could you get to the garage fast enough to deal with the intruder if you were not at home a the time.

Better option would be to set off a sound bomb inside the garage to drive the intruder out.
40 metres.

Setting off sound bomb would be good but only if I can set it off. Wouldn't want it going off by itself. Would wake up other residents.

Sponsored Links
Does the garage have a power supply from your house? If so, you could use a ring camera/doorbell with a power line adaptor. You’ll be able to get instant alerts as well as see/talk to them.

Does the garage have a power supply from your house? If so, you could use a ring camera/doorbell with a power line adaptor. You’ll be able to get instant alerts as well as see/talk to them.
The thieves are going to ring the door bell before they break in?
Power line adapters tend to have to be on the same circuit , garage would have separate supply .

The thieves are going to ring the door bell before they break in?
Power line adapters tend to have to be on the same circuit , garage would have separate supply .
No, you fit the doorbell inside the garage and set it to notify you of motion detections. You can also have live view any time you want. I mentioned the doorbell because at £89 for the mk1 version, it’s cheaper than a £179 camera and will do more that the OP originally wanted. My loft has a separate supply circuit and I have my cctv dvr unit up there. The power line is plugged into it. The other end of the power line is plugged into the hall socket which is on my downstairs ring main. It's been working fine for the last 3 years.

https://www.toolstation.com/dummy-c...MIoJKZkr-n4wIV1pTVCh1Tyg_iEAQYAiABEgKfy_D_BwE

That’s not cheap , camera need power supply , cable and recorder not included .
My cameras have lights .

It's cheaper than the fake camera, that is obviously not a real camera. If the only purpose is to make it look like you have CCTV, you don't need power, cable or recorder.
If you want to use CCTV as a deterrent, why buy all the kit and not just a camera?

I have watched somebody walk up to a neighbours with a fake camera, look at it, smirk, and then walk round the back to check the place out. I made plenty of noise moving some bins around and they scarpered. People know that real CCTV cams do not have little flashing lights, and real cameras are cheaper than the fake ones.

No, you fit the doorbell inside the garage and set it to notify you of motion detections. You can also have live view any time you want. My loft has a separate supply circuit and I have my cctv dvr unit up there. The power line is plugged into it. The other end of the power line is plugged into the hall socket which is on my downstairs ring main. It's been working fine for the last 3 years.

Ring does look good. Just for motion detection and alerts, Blink is cheaper - don't think it does actual frontdoor chatting like Ring, but should work fine for a garage set up if the wifi reaches there.

No, you fit the doorbell inside the garage and set it to notify you of motion detections. You can also have live view any time you want. I mentioned the doorbell because at £89 for the mk1 version, it’s cheaper than a £179 camera and will do more that the OP originally wanted. My loft has a separate supply circuit and I have my cctv dvr unit up there. The power line is plugged into it. The other end of the power line is plugged into the hall socket which is on my downstairs ring main. It's been working fine for the last 3 years.
You could do the same with old iPhone or similar for free .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back