1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Motion Sensor internals - jumper question

Discussion in 'Alarms, CCTV & Telephones' started by dishman, 16 Jan 2020 at 2:55 AM.

1. dishman

dishman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was doing a bit of painting.....so had to get the alarm sensors free to paint around them better. I also decided to spray the, now yellow, covers.

To do this I clearly had to take the covers off.

While pulling some off, on one or two, a small black jumper fell out. Now.....at first I thought this must be pretty important....but then I noticed at least one of them did not have a jumper in this particular position at all.

Then....on closer inspection....I noticed that the jumper in question...as far as I can see...is not bridging any connections.

So....I am now assuming the sensors all contained at least one spare jumper, and this was just a location to store it without bridging connections.
    fireplace-7741.JPG fireplace-7741-2.JPG
    This is once sensor with all the jumpers in their original position. I am looking at the jumper in the top right....the second image is a close-up of this area.

fireplace-7738.JPG fireplace-7738-2.JPG
    In this sensor.....the jumper fell out.

So based on the first picture.....can I get some confirmation it was just a spare? I assume to change the function in some way if required (hence it being put in a unused position).

Lastly.....have I caused myself any issues by removing the cover? This obviously tripped a tamper alarm which i disabled with my code.

However, I read on here that this can cause issues without the master code. This may have been referring to removing the sensor completely, rather than just the cover.

I think i do have the master code......but wanted to check if I have had inadvertently caused myself a lot more issues if I don't.

Many Thanks

2. sparkymarka

sparkymarka

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi / med / lo .....sensitivity jumper ....off being low

3. Sponsored Links
  4. dishman

dishman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Interesting.

But....if the jumper is just over a single pin, what is it making contact with and/or bridging to affect the sensitivity?

Surely having a jumper over a single pin is the same as not having one on a pin.

Also, is there usually any tamper issues with regard to removing the cover if it turns out I do not have an engineers/master code?

Regards

5. sparkymarka

sparkymarka

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Think about it .....3 pins ....pin 3/2 one setting 2/1 another ....no pin the last ....it’s not rocket science ...

6. Sponsored Links