motor bearings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://ibb.co/K5XNn4t
IMG_20200310_103734788.jpg

Any of you fellow old timers know if/how I can replenish the lube on this bearing.

It's a mid 70s Brook Compton
It was running ludicrously hot despite its hosts gearbox being full of oil
The back end bearing has a grease cup which had dried up.
I've gently replenished it and it has made a noticeable difference and it doesn't trip the thermal reset button any more but it's still hot to the touch after about 15 mins on a bitterly cold day.
I'm guessing the front is also dry.
Do I try to prise out the pressed metal cap or remove the 4 long bolts and try to take off the whole cast end-casing?
Btw the hexagon isn't a hexagon and part of the casting..

Sponsored Links
The cap looks like it will prise out like the grease caps used to on the front hub/taper roller bearings on old RWD cars. If you could get the end plate off I bet that would have a bearing that could be tapped out and replaced.

If you have the time, then split the motor casing......it’ll make access to the bearing much easier for a clean out or replacement.
There may be a felt seal behind that dust cap.
John :)

Sponsored Links
These motors can give quite a 'kick' when starting.
I've seen them in a cradle where a rubber doughnut was moulded around the cast octagon and held in a clamp, giving a cush mounting and therefore a smoother start to a belt drive or whatever.

Last edited:
If the bearings are getting hot no amount of re-greasing will fix it. Replace the bearing, one should only be a few quid from the interwebs.

It could be a good move to split the motor casings, and blow out the windings with compressed air if possible.
If you wish to replace the bearings, heat up the area with a hot air gun.....the bearings will punch out without any problems.

If you are going to pop the end shield off make sure you mark it with a few corresponding pop marks or felt tip lines.
The reason is the central bearing housing may be ever so slightly out of centre, and putting the shield back in a different position can cause the shaft to run out of true.
This can increase bearing wear, cause the rotor to rub on the stator core, (unlikely but I have known it to happen), and in extreme cases cause gear box wear.
Whenever you take a motor apart always mark corresponding parts to ensure they go back as originally fitted.

If you are going to pop the end shield off make sure you mark it with a few corresponding pop marks or felt tip lines.
The reason is the central bearing housing may be ever so slightly out of centre, and putting the shield back in a different position can cause the shaft to run out of true.
This can increase bearing wear, cause the rotor to rub on the stator core, (unlikely but I have known it to happen), and in extreme cases cause gear box wear.
Whenever you take a motor apart always mark corresponding parts to ensure they go back as originally fitted.
.......and check the thing spins nice and freely at each step - a good whack with a wooden mallet is great for aligning things!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back