Motor problem

Sponsored Links
The capacitor is used for starting the motor (as I take it you have the single phase version)

Normally these motors have an uneven weight on the shaft at one end. In the absence of anything else (like a binding, slow rotor) then the weights could be loose or broken.

I have took the 2 end plates off and the shaft looks ok and the motor is spinning quite fast but the vibration dosn't seen to be half as good.

Although no first hand experience on this, but the two weights presumably hung at either end of the motor shaft, check if their relationship with one another hasn't spun, and cancelling the purposefull imbalance, if the weight on one side has shifted on the shaft then the impact will be less, as part of the shifted weight might be cancelling the imbalance to some extent that you are now getting less impact.

Both weights should be at the same angle, if one was at opposite angle (180 degrees then the shaft would be fully balanced and you might not get any impact when the motor spins.

Sponsored Links
Yesterday the motor stopped vibrating the table as good as it used to.

It has a capacitor in a separate box. Do you think the capacitor could have died?

its possible it may have lost capacitance
but it depends on the type of motor it is whether it would effect the running of the motor or not
what size (value) is the cap?
some photos may help

Matt

Some pics.

DSC_0930.jpg

DSC_0935.jpg

DSC_0936.jpg

Is that a snapped weld by the motor mount?

And learn to rotate pictures :mrgreen:

As I said in my earlier post, did you check that bothe weights are in the same plane i.e. downwards, as i can see the front one is hanging at the bottom, like wise make sure the one at the other end is in the same angle, if one rotates as I can see if the nut gets loose it can slide off its intened angle, as for capacitance, I do know some central heating water pumps stop running fast when a cap goes down, they spin so slow, and most I came across use 2.2uF 400Volts, they are roughly the size of a C size battery, you could try to undo the compartment where the cap is mounted and the value will be printed on it with the voltage rating. I am guessing for a motor this size you will probably need a higher capacitance possibly up to 10uF 400Volts and thats going to be fairly large like a D size cell.

Them welds are quite old and it used to vibrate very good it even snaped the steel that was welded in the 1st pic. Do you have a link to better vib motors as this one is only 18 months old and I tought vibtech were the best.

that's a 3 phase motor converted to run on single phase
so yes possibly the cap
any chance of a pic of the terminals?

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back