motor valve hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - i have a query (maybe a problem too)? my silver cased motor valve in my airing cupbaord in the bathroom is hot to the touch now ... but the hot water and central heating are both off now, the programmer is off, and has been for over an hour or so now. i just went in to the cupboard to get a towel out and it dropped near the motor valve, and i noticed it was pretty hot to the touch when picking the towe up.

is this a fault? am i right to worry? i have been find out by googling but have had no joy. can anybody advise me please? why is the valve hot when all is off ... will it get hotter? i am quite worried.

Sponsored Links
if its a 3 port it will be warm if the heating was last on and valve is held in last position. hw port shut heating port open.
if you switch the mains fused spur off and back on the valve will reset and will cool down.

hi there. the hot water and heating were both on until 9 pm tonight. i have never noticed this hotness before, but after dropping the towels and feeling the motor valve box, by accident really, i was a bit worried. as the hot water and central heating are both off at the programmer i was worried as i thought power would be off to everyting now and it would or should be cold.

so am i worrying about nothing? i do not know too much about electrics and do not want to turn anything off as i may bugger things up, and alter my programmer timings and clock settings, but as long as it's natural then can i relax?

the valve will still have power to it even if they are both switched off at programmer.

the grey will be live holding motor in last position. they do get warm.

Sponsored Links
ok thank you for your advice. i can sleep then now...

i was just worried as i was thinking maybe the programmer on the wall downstairs, as being off now, would take the power off of the motor valve aso. but this is fine that it is hot still. will it stay hot all the time? as ong as it is norma then i am good.. thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back