Motor Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2.2Kw Single phase motor to connect up and I thought it would be straight forward but the connections are confusing me.

It is a two capacitor start/run motor but the terminals are marked u1,u2,v1,v2,w1,w2 etc.

I asked a spark yesterday about the terminals but he couldn't help as he only wires domestic and has never touched motors.

I would like to know were the live and neutral wires have to go.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
the terminals are marked u1,u2,v1,v2,w1,w2 etc.
"etc"? A full description would probably be more useful.

Anyway - 'fraid I can't help, but probably someone will be able to.

You might like to photo all of the wiring, or describe which parts of the motor are connected to which terminal.

From memory but I will have to check, the wire at w2 goes to the capacitor and that's the only one from the terminals.

I can't see what wires or how they are connected to the motor because it is sealed and you would have to open it all up which I won't be doing.

usually U1 and U2 but cant make out the markings on your block
I take it the capacitors and switch are connected internally?
if so then there are only two terminals to connect to as there are bridging links fitted
use the outer two terminals (top and bottom in your photo) as nothing is connected to the middle connections

Matt

Sponsored Links
Is there not a wiring diagram on the inside of the motor terminal cover?

The block is marked as I would expect a 3 phase motor, how are the coils connected as from the pic you appear to only have 4 wires?
Are there any switches or is it cap start cap run?

Single phase motors are a real pain. There are many ways they can be wired with capacitors in circuit all the time and with capacitors in circuit just at start with centrifugal switches or timers or a combination of both. And that's with just squirrel cage motors.

I have tried in the past to work out which winding in run and which is start and it seems there is no common way with on some motors the run being lowest resistance and others the start is lowest resistance.

So unless some one on here has the same motor the chances of working it out are slim. I have used trial and error and monitored heat but it is very hit and miss.

So take details off plate and do a google cross fingers and hope you can find it and also post all details off plate and hope some one has exactly that motor.

2.2kW is rather large for single phase likely it will not run from a 13A outlet it would depend on start load laths often can start first then tension the belt but with direct connection it will be on the edge.

Today we tend to use three phase even on a single phase supply and use inverters which can be better set to give a controlled soft start. But you may find it needs a 16A supply rather than 13A to be able to start.

Single phase motors are a real pain. There are many ways they can be wired with capacitors in circuit all the time and with capacitors in circuit just at start with centrifugal switches or timers or a combination of both. And that's with just squirrel cage motors.

yes eric but seeing how its got two caps on the side (that persumably have cables attatched) I think we can safely assume Its a CSCR motor
and seeing that there are not enough cables on the block for two windings two capacitors and a switch then most of the connections must be integral to the motor
the available connections on the block will allow the motor to be wired reverse rotation

Matt

Diagram for a CSCR motor.

Dont think OP pic is a forward/reverse motor.

given that the block in the photo ( which is how it came I presume? ) has 4 wires and they are linked in pairs, just stick Live on one pair and Neutral on the other..

Sorry for not getting back sooner but I ended up sticking a live on U1 and the neutral on W1 like ColJack stated above and its working fine.

I agree a 3-phase motor and the use of an invertor would be a better option but it was out of my hands.

I have added a few more photo's to my first post if anyone is interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back