Motorised Valve on, termostat and clock off - Hot Hot Hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first time posting, but have used the site a lot in the past for fixes.
I work in IT so terminology may not be correct.
Can see a solution for this one so....

Background:
My central heating system has a controller with 3 separate clocks, downstairs, upstairs and water cylinder. Upstairs and downstairs have an analogue thermostat on each, thermostat for water is on cylinder.

There are 3 motorised valves, downstairs and upstairs have Danfoss 2 port and the water has a Holwell 2 port.

I believe when the motorised valve is on it starts my Oil Fired Bolier.
Everything except the boild were newly installed 4 years ago, boiler was working well and serviced due to budget constraints.

The issue:
Downstairs has on several occasions over the past 2 months been abnormally hot when the heating was not scheduled to be on, it has always occured after the heating has been on. The first time it happened I went to the downstairs motorised valve and moved the manual lever and it "free'd" itself and had no problems for a month, then this week it started again and moving the lever did not work so I changed the valve for a direct replacement.
It was ok for 1 day but now it has happened again, so I dont think the valve is at fault.

I discoved last night that if I switch the power off the motorised valve will reset.

Does this mean the new valve is unfortunatly faulty, or could there be a problem with my time clock or thermostat that it is sending false signals, does this ever happen?

Can anyone suggest a list of things to test to isolate the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Darran

Sponsored Links
Can anyone suggest a list of things to test to isolate the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Darran

Yes, you need to assertain if the valve is receiving power when it is supposed to be off
do you have a multimeter?

I can get one - I leave electics to my father as I am colourblind, but I should be able to work that out.
Thanks, there are 4 wires on the motorised valve which 2 should I test for power?

Thanks,
Darran

Sponsored Links
brown and blue (power on these drive the valve open)

orange and grey connect together when the valve is fully open

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back