Motorised valve problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all first post here, hope you guys can help.

Got an ideal classic system boiler which has had a new pump installed.

After getting rid of the usual air locks, the water going into the cylinder via the flow and return pipes is now hot.

I can only get hot water when the heating is on at the programmer. I cant get hot water when it is on hot water only.

The motorised valve feels loose when i go to manual from auto.

any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's a Honeywell valve (metal) loosen the screw, slip the top off and see if the gubbins moves correctly.
HW position when everything off, round a bit for CH + HW, round more for CH only.
If it's a grey Danfoss it might have got knocked - they fall off easily.

Bled the primary to the HW cylinder?

I can only get hot water when the heating is on at the programmer. I can't get hot water when it is on hot water only.

The motorised valve feels loose when I go to manual from auto.
The mid position valve is stuck - that's why the lever feels loose.

Turn the power to the system off (turning programmer to OFF is not sufficient), this should reset the valve so there is resistance when you move the lever from Auto to Man.

If you still feel resistance, remove the actuator (box on top of the valve) and try turning the shaft - it will move about 20 degrees. It should be easy to turn. If stiff, squirt a little WD40 on the shaft to loosen it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys it was a stiff knackered valve (bit like everything else on this system!)

Replaced with new after following advice.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back