Mould / Damp problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I've registered to ask a question of your good selves, and fear a few more questions coming in the upcoming future.
I have a problem in my house, where my front door is near the corner of the house. The house is a semi detached house, and I am an end of the row house.

The problem is that we have noticed a dampness, and mould on the wall in the corner. Now at first, I wondered whether it was a plant pot, or even our cats, but I can now rule this out completely. There is definately damp.

I have had a look at the outside walls and all looks ok, ie no loose cement or broken bricks etc, but while doing this, I have noticed that there have been some steps, built at the front of the house, and it seems that the top step (where you step from the steps into the house)
I believe that the top step may have been built up a little high, and is too close to the top of the Damp Proof Course, therefore with all the snow and rain we've have had, i believe that some of the water has seeped into the house, above the DPC.

Can anyone suggest the most cost affective way to resolve this issue? Or am I way off with my thoughts of where the problem is originating.

I'm not sure whether there can be something inserted into the walls, or some kind of water repelent that can be applied.
The other option i can think of, is to get out the hammer and chisel, and get rid of the height of the top step. (Quite alot of work involved in this)

Thanks in advance for your help, and suggestions.

Sponsored Links
I knew I'd miss something out.

I'm not sure in all honesty, they are redbrick outside, and I believe with a plastered inside, which is on breeze block.

So the wall is made from Redbrick, and breezeblock, but I am not sure of much more detail, sorry.
Built approx in the 1970's/

They are most likely to be cavity then. It could be condensation, especially with the mould problem. It is possible that the cavity is blocked above the DPC as well, which could allow damp through.

Sponsored Links
Is there a way of confirming
A) If its cavity wall?
B) How to i confirm if its condensation, and also how to stop it if this is the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Built in the 70's it will probably be cavity, but if you measure the walls thickness at the door frame it should be about 11 inches.
If you tape a piece of clear plastic to the wall, condensation will form on the top, and penetrating damp underneath.
If it's condensation you will need to reduce the R/H in the room.

The room where it is, is the hall way, and in all honesty, its not the warmest of rooms in the house. infact its quite cold.

Thanks for your help Stuart, I appreciate your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back