Mould/dots all over bedroom-please please advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We just moved into a new house (private rent) and there is dots all over the bedroom walls. To me it looks like there has been a bad mood issue and they have cleaned the walls. But it's left dots all over. Could that be it??

We have just bought a tin of dulux once paint in lilac and painted one wall and the dots show straight through!!! So don'
Want to paint the rest of the room.
Here is a photo of the wall with the dots!

Please please help/advise!!!

Danielle xx

Attachments

• 20171230_164254.jpg
    20171230_164254.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 126
Sponsored Links
I will try but wouldn' imagine that would do it. I guess it' been taken off with stuff before. No sign of mild just clear marks.

Stainblocker ? Is there a condensation problem or is this penetrating damp?

Sponsored Links
looks like beads of water from condensation to me. Is it dry now?

tape a piece of clear plastic tightly to the wall. See if water forms on the room side of the plastic (condensation) or the wall side (wet wall)

If it is an external wall it will be prone to condensation if the house is humid, e.g. from emulsion paint or wet washing.

looks like beads of water from condensation to me. Is it dry now?

tape a piece of clear plastic tightly to the wall. See if water forms on the room side of the plastic (condensation) or the wall side (wet wall)

If it is an external wall it will be prone to condensation if the house is humid, e.g. from emulsion paint or wet washing.
Hi. It' been there since we moved in on all 4 walls. Not wet at all. 2 walls are external and 2 are internal.

it still looks like condensation to me.

Stain blocker would probably cover it enough to paint on.

There are some own-brands half the price of Dulux, but I don't know if they're any good. Try a small area (and a small can) before splashing out.

Also, scrub a test area with sugar soap and rub off with an old towel in case it's PVA or paste.

it still looks like condensation to me.

Stain blocker would probably cover it enough to paint on.

There are some own-brands half the price of Dulux, but I don't know if they're any good. Try a small area (and a small can) before splashing out.

Also, scrub a test area with sugar soap and rub off with an old towel in case it's PVA or paste.
Can condensation be dry? I will buy sugar soap tomorrow. Like I said I'e painted one of the walls Lilac and the spots show straight through.

condensation might have been in beads and dried out. Possibly there was some contaminant dissolved on the water and dried out in spots. Maybe it's just dust or dirt.

condensation might have been in beads and dried out. Possibly there was some contaminant dissolved on the water and dried out in spots. Maybe it's just dust or dirt.

It' not dust or dirt. It's as if mold has been there. Wiped off and left stains.

Strip the wallpaper off, reline with lining paper and a paste and emulsion that has a fungicide in it.

If the paint doesn't have a fungicide in it, the mould will, feed off the paint !

If you don't do that it will, come back make sure the room has adequate ventilation and heat.

The mould can be under the lining paper so wiping it with bleach is only short term it can eventually grow through again.

Strip the wallpaper off, reline with lining paper and a paste and emulsion that has a fungicide in it.

If the paint doesn't have a fungicide in it, the mould will, feed off the paint !

If you don't do that it will, come back make sure the room has adequate ventilation and heat.

The mould can be under the lining paper so wiping it with bleach is only short term it can eventually grow through again.
No wallpaper on it.

No lining paper ...shame ........makes it a bit harder if it's in the skim coat beneath the paint.

A real good wipe with bleach on a cloth only slightly diluted will help ....leave it wet on the surface. Then a fungicidal paint.

Maybe paper paste residue from previous papered surface and not been cleaned properly before having a skim coat applied.
Good scrub with sugar soap and treat with a fungicide. Allow to dry completely before trying paint again.
90% of success is preparation.

Sponsored Links
Back