Mould in porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We recently moved house and have found that the porch that is closed off with a storm doors and front door is creating damp inside. It's been treated with damp proof paint etc and all looked good but it's started to reoccur with a small amount of mould. We've since had new doors and windows and they cause a bit of suction in the porch when trying to open the front door.

I want to insert a vent but want to ask if the vent should be coming from the outside in to the porch or from the inside of the home in to the porch or maybe both?

Hopefully this would correct my issue with damp and prevent the suction.

Sponsored Links
Weren't the windows supplied with weep vents? If not, they are easy to fit.

Weren't the windows supplied with weep vents? If not, they are easy to fit.

No the new ones weren't. Which I was surprised at. I just assumed they would be fitted. I'll look into how easy they are to fit.

Sponsored Links
No the new ones weren't. Which I was surprised at. I just assumed they would be fitted. I'll look into how easy they are to fit.

You can buy them on ebay etc.

Drill a series of holes, After, pull the drill to the side to create a channel. Then drill the tiny fitting holes for the fixings.

Seriously, it is that easy (assuming that you have uPVC windows).

You can buy them on ebay etc.

Drill a series of holes, After, pull the drill to the side to create a channel. Then drill the tiny fitting holes for the fixings.

Seriously, it is that easy (assuming that you have uPVC windows).

Just checked them out. They do look easy to do. Only issue is the colour of the door. It's a grey on one side and white on the other so I'll have to try and get some custom made. I could ask the company we got them from but we are not on very good terms at the moment due to issues experienced during fitting

Just checked them out. They do look easy to do. Only issue is the colour of the door. It's a grey on one side and white on the other so I'll have to try and get some custom made. I could ask the company we got them from but we are not on very good terms at the moment due to issues experienced during fitting
Why ? Vents go in window not door.

Ok then they won't be suitable as it's a porch. Storm doors on to front door. Think my best bet is to fit a vent from the porch to the outside.
That’s what I said in first post .
So does your porch have windows ? It’s unclear from your posts .

We've since had new doors and windows and they cause a bit of suction in the porch when trying to open the front door.

Why can't you fit the weep vents in the tops of the new windows?

BTW if you do fit some kind of airbrick it will need to be as high as possible.

That’s what I said in first post .
So does your porch have windows ? It’s unclear from your posts .

Sorry I see what you mean from my post. No there are no windows in the porch. Just a pair of storm doors and then the front door.
Why can't you fit the weep vents in the tops of the new windows?

BTW if you do fit some kind of airbrick it will need to be as high as possible.

As above. There are no windows only a pair of storm doors and the main front door.

Airb is what I was thinking. Any reason in particular why they should be high?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back