Condensation in porch and mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few months ago plaster board was put onto the walls inside our old PVC and glass porch to hide the damaged brickwork underneath.

Not long after I noticed the windows in the porch were wet from condensation and now the painted paster board has mould on it.

Should we have the plasterboard removed or can we treat it?

Obviously we need to resolve the condensation problem. The house has not been lived in since it was all renovated but we do keep the heating on low.

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Damp warm air is coming out of the house and condensing on the cold porch.

It's been the second wettest year for 100 years and the structure of the house will have absorbed lots of moisture, especially if the house is closed up and no windows open. If damp reaches the right level you could even get dry rot in some of the timbers.

Are the fireplaces blocked up in your house? It would be worth opening them for ventilation or having vents at least. This assumes you still have open chimneys; if not that option isn't open to you. I think you'd do better to ventilate the house better and turn off the heating, having first drained down the water system.

By the way, are you sure there isn't a water leak somewhere in the house?

In my own house a good way to get short term ventilation is to open the attic hatch; you wouldn't believe the blast of warm air that goes up through the opening. I do this occasionally if there's a strong cooking smell. Long-term this also carries the risk of warm damp air condensing on the insides of the cold roof and dripping onto your ceilings.

Thanks. Yes the fireplaces are open as they are solid fuel.

There is bad insulation on the front door, not the bottom but on the sides so I gather the warm air is coming through. I'm a bit clueless with DIY as my dad always helped but since he passed away I have struggled.

I'm not even sure where I should start

Damp warm air is coming out of the house and condensing on the cold porch.

It doesn't need to be that damp, if the surface is very cold.

The plasterboard can just be cleaned, you can get fungal cleaners that can *somewhat* inhibit new mould growth, as well as painting over it (or again using "damp proof" paint).

Ventilation will help, but if the windows are of poor quality with bad insulation surrounds, it may only reduce and not eliminate condensation.

Turning of the heating will mean no warm air hitting cold surfaces, if it's not occupied may as well turn it off.

Sponsored Links
In that case the next question is: are the chimneys blocked at the top or are they still open with cowls to prevent water coming down?

I could turn the heating off but then when someone moves in it will just come back.

There is no water coming down the chimney its been prevented but the actual house has no condensation it's just the porch area.

Then turn off the heating, ventilate the house to prevent damp smells, turn off the water and drain the system and ventilate the porch. Take the advice above about mould inhibitors.

A couple of days before tenants move in, close up, refill and turn on the heating full time to warm up the structure of the building.

Thanks. I saw some Fungicidal Wash and mould killing and prevention paint at Wickes. So I will try this first.

How do I ventilate the porch? Do I need someone to stick in an air brick?

I'm also trying to work out how to draught exclude the front door. Will that help? Do those sticky foam tapes work?

Thanks. I saw some Fungicidal Wash and mould killing and prevention paint at Wickes. So I will try this first.

How do I ventilate the porch? Do I need someone to stick in an air brick?

I'm also trying to work out how to draught exclude the front door. Will that help? Do those sticky foam tapes work?

If the heating is off, you won't need to ventilate the porch, assuming there is no rouge source of damp/moisture.

Sticky foam tapes work, but they also reduce ventilation without increasing the insulation, this may then shift the condensation onto the inside face of that door, hard to say.

When you have a poorly insulated surface area, the only way to stop condensation is to make it excessively doughty and colder.

Fixing the issue properly means spending money, upgrading wall insulation, windows and doors, jiggling around with thermal breaks.

If the building has not been lived in since renovation the moisture content could be high,plus the high rainfall ,A Dehumidifier would get the excess moisture from the building , If if you catch a lot of water you know your on the right track.

An external porch is a cold damp place, plasterboard should not have been used, if it's pvc then pvc cladding/sheet should replace the plasterboard.

Simples !!
As warm air meets cold surfaces- condensation and mould occurs.
I am Aleksandr the Meerkat and I know everything about damp issues.
Porches are cold places-- not good for a meerkat to sleep easy.
If your porch has a opens windows- leave them cracked open at nightimes to 'rid off the damps .

Any problems regardings damps- feels free to calls me . SIMPLES !!.
Now- where is Sergi ?. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back