Mould in shower tiling joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any good advice how to avoid mould. My shower tiling is only a couple of years old and black mould has crept into some of the joints already (and yes it is cleaned each week by my good lady!). Seems to be mainly the mastic at low level that is affected, if I re-mastic, which is the best product? (they all seem to say they're good to prevent mould!)

Sponsored Links
Quality trade grouts have anti-fungal properties & will always last longer than cheap DIY products; no way of knowing what was used but too late for that one now anyway. Similarly, a quality sanitary silicone sealer (Dow Corning) should be use for the flex beading around the bath, shower tray & down the corners of the shower; do not use mastic.

Condensation & excess moisture is the biggest cause of mould growth; good ventilation to remove this is essential & an extract fan is a Building Regulation requirement on new bath/shower rooms, do you have one? Wiping the tiles over with squeegee to remove excess steam & water after use will also keep it looking good for longer but it can be a PITA doing it each time.

There are proprietary cleaners you can buy but you can use caustic soda (be careful with it, it burns) but once mould has taken a hold it can be very difficult to eradicate.

Richard,
thanks for advice. I meant to say a silicone sealant and not mastic, but it has still gone mouldy, will most likey redo this with a better sealant. There is an extract fan, but I have wondered if it is powerful enough and intend to look into upgrade. I think you are right about useing the squegee after shower use, the more moisture down the drain and not left on the walls has got to be good. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back