Mould patches on bay window sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Have had new windows fitted about 6 months ago and there seems to be mould at the 2 corner joints of the bay window. I saw amall droplets of condensation just above where the mould patch is.
Should I take off the silicone and fill with expandable foam and then reseal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Mold spores collect where is damp and lacking ventilation . Do the new windows have trickle vents , are they open.?

Sponsored Links
What are you going to fill with foam? should not be any gaps.
I thought there might be a gap so air is getting in and thus mould forming. I really haven't a clue. The old windows which were 20yrs old did not have this problem.

Air does not form mold, you have mold spores in the property all the time, ventilation keeps them from settling and prevents cold damp spots which mold requires to thrive.

Air does not form mold, you have mold spores in the property all the time, ventilation keeps them from settling and prevents cold damp spots which mold requires to thrive.
I keep windows open all the time and the trickle vents are open 24/7. What do you think I should do about these mould spores?
Should I leave it as it is and continue with ventilation and put a bit more silicone on?

When I moved in to my property I had exactly the same issue as this only far worse. At the bottom of every bead of silicone on the frame would be a patch of black mold and in some places it started climbing up the seal.

If there was silicone I could remove I did so and replaced with a bead of top-quality anti-mold silicone (for use in bathrooms, etc.) If there was no silicone to remove, I killed the mold and wiped down with bleach.

It's just one of those things. It got worse after I insulated the bay window wall because the warm air couldn't condensate on the new wall which is warmer. It had to find the next coldest surface which is the window frame/glass. Trickle vents are in my view absolute carp (only good when new). Steps such as windows open on the latch and locked throughout the day, a strong bathroom extractor fan and NO drying clothes in un-ventilated rooms solved it for me. So long as you can stop warm,moist air settling on cold surfaces you should not get mold like this.

I keep windows open all the time and the trickle vents are open 24/7. What do you think I should do about these mould spores?
Should I leave it as it is and continue with ventilation and put a bit more silicone on?
do you have extractor fans in kitchen and bathroom? no drying clothes in home?

When I moved in to my property I had exactly the same issue as this only far worse. At the bottom of every bead of silicone on the frame would be a patch of black mold and in some places it started climbing up the seal.

If there was silicone I could remove I did so and replaced with a bead of top-quality anti-mold silicone (for use in bathrooms, etc.) If there was no silicone to remove, I killed the mold and wiped down with bleach.

It's just one of those things. It got worse after I insulated the bay window wall because the warm air couldn't condensate on the new wall which is warmer. It had to find the next coldest surface which is the window frame/glass. Trickle vents are in my view absolute carp (only good when new). Steps such as windows open on the latch and locked throughout the day, a strong bathroom extractor fan and NO drying clothes in un-ventilated rooms solved it for me. So long as you can stop warm,moist air settling on cold surfaces you should not get mold like this.
I'll take ur advice and 8
do you have extractor fans in kitchen and bathroom? no drying clothes in home?
Yeah both. Got really good ones when renovating a year ago. I think the previous occupants never opened windows as when we moved in, there was damp on walls and ceilings. I got a humidity meter and it shows quite high readings. The mould spots are on allot of the windows and on the wall around the windows.

Any vents in the rooms apart from tricklevents, what style of property is it?

I'll take ur advice and use high quality silicone to replace affected areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back