Mould under gloss paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We brought a property 12 months ago and completey renovated it. We also had a damp course done on it. We have now lived in our house for 6 months.

However, I have just noticed the skirting downstairs (MDF) has started to bubble. I'm just wondering - is it possible for mould to grow under the gloss paint? Forgive me if I sound thick! The only reason I ask this is because I have scraped some of the bubbled paint off and it looks black underneath?!

My concern now, if it is mould, what would be the best option?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think in cases like this its always a good idea to actually measure how much dampness there is, or could be, in the timbers and walls......Toolstations 55818 is a good wee tool for this, less than £20.
At least with damp detection, you can see if the new DPC is actually working!
Do you have suspended timber floors? Its worth lifting a board or two to see whats happening beneath.
Presumably you did prime the MDF skirting? It may not be the best material to use anyway if you get dampness readings higher than say 12%.
John :)

We have concrete flooring downstairs!
Is it actually possible for mould to grow underneath gloss paint?! Yes, we treated the MDF with two coats of primer before glossing.

Mould is a product of excess moisture, and that moisture is coming from somewhere......presumably there was a vapour barrier put down before the floor concrete?
Whether mould can grow under gloss paint - well truthfully I haven't a clue as I've never seen that before!
There may be a possibility that the plaster was too wet as the skirting was fixed, but again I can't comment on that one.....is the mould in just one place or all round?

Sponsored Links
I presume so yes, the concrete flooring was laid before we brought the house.

The bubbling on the skirting is in patches, it isn't on all of the skirting, only on 2 walls (which are internal walls). I'm just hoping we haven't got to remove all skirting and replace it :(

Thanks for you help John.

Is the room below ground?
What is the room used for?
DId you paint the edge of the MDF ,It wicks moisture very welland will expand at least 10-20% in the affected area, and not good in a damp environment but as said above moisture content in the surrounding structure is the cause the mould is the product of that.

What floor covering do you have over the concrete......is there a musty smell below carpets etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back