mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone point me to the most effective method of removing black mould from silicone beading (ie showers cabinets, window frames etc) without effecting the sealant ?

Thanks in advance folks.

Sponsored Links
Neat Domestos and a toothbrush - leaving it for around 20 minutes or so may have some effect. In a shower situation its best if the silicone is dried after each use.
John :)

Try rolling up toilet roll in long strips and soak in bleach, leave for an hour or so then remove, worked a treat in my shower.
I also now use an old spray bottle filled with diluted bleach and spray shower after i use, no sign of mould.
Jim

Mould indicates lack of adequate ventilation , leaving bottle of shampoo etc on the seal exacerbates it .

Sponsored Links
I heard that weeing in the shower encourages it.

I would recommend getting Astonish mould and mildew remover spray, it worked brilliant for me, only cost about £1.00 and you can get it from Home Bargains, The Range also sell it. I sprayed the areas daily over a couple of days and it went completely. Have used expensive stuff in the past which didn't work.

Try rolling up toilet roll in long strips and soak in bleach, leave for an hour or so then remove, worked a treat in my shower.
I used this method last year and it didn't work well. The mould went from black to brown. I bought Cillit Bang's version of the mould remover and it worked about 90%. Still have some stubborn areas but I'll leave this now until I remove and reapply the silicone.

I used this method last year and it didn't work well. The mould went from black to brown. I bought Cillit Bang's version of the mould remover and it worked about 90%. Still have some stubborn areas but I'll leave this now until I remove and reapply the silicone.

Much the same result I've just achieved with a 50/50 bleach & water mix. I'm of the same mind as you regarding future options.
Thank you for your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back