Mountfield 28m not picking up cut grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Bought a brand-new Mountfield 28m in March. This is only my second ride-on, so it's entirely possible I'm doing a very simple thing wrong.

As you can imagine it runs like a dream, and has lots of security features. Feels very safe (and rather powerful for my garden).

There's a problem though: it leaves about 2/3 of the cut grass on the ground.

Taking off the rear catcher, and looking down the chute, there's a door that seems to be separating the cutting chamber from the grass collector. How does that get opened?

Now, 1/3 of the grass is making it into the catcher, so it's doing *something* right, but then because the chute is rather steep, the grass doesn't make it all the way to the top, and then falls back, clogging the chute, and then ensuring that any further grass doesn't make it out.

Obviously, this is a shame, as it leaves the garden looking almost as bad as it did before I mowed.

Any ideas how to fix this?

-Ken

Sponsored Links
For grass collection on riders or garden tractors, the grass needs to be completely dry.....any wet material will always clog the discharge chute up.
I don't recall any door on the chute system but it has to be in two parts to allow the deck heights to be adjusted.....is the join what you are seeing?
You can minimise clogging by obviously raising the cutter deck height or by cutting half or even a third of the cutting width.
Please give us a pic if you can where the problem is.
John :)

When I cleared the tube today, it did seem to be the second tube that bent at a different angle.

It's a bit difficult to hope for a garden of dry grass this time of year. ツ

Guess I'll just have to keep checking that chute regularly.

I have a Mountfield 827H which i think is the older version of what you have but with the hydrostatic drive.

Mine picks up all the grass properly. It even picks up when the grass is quite wet with only the occasional blockage. There is no obstruction in the feed tube from the cutting deck to the grass catcher though so something about yours sounds wrong. You've not got something funny going on with a mulching setting or similar have you?

Have you got the option of speaking to the people you bought it from and asking them for their advice?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a mulching setting is blocking the collection in some way.

Blup

Other factors that may play a part....
Not running the machine at maximum RPM;
Maybe a mulching blade is fitted instead of a scooping one (if such a thing is applicable)
The mulching plug inserted?
My own 1436H has twin counter rotating blades and it's always blocking unless the cutting conditions are perfect :(
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back