Mountfield hp414 problems

If you have the same crap engine i have with the fuel tank top back of unit do all what john lists strip the carb and blow it out with as much air pressure you can get your hands on, then when runnin there is a small black adjuster ontop of the carb while the engine is hunting turn the screw slowly until the engine runs more smooth seems to have worked for me so far fingers crossed thanks again john

Sponsored Links
thanks john ur user name nearly same as mine lol it is the briggs and stratton with the foam air filter and red build as you say..the engine never stops it just revs to about half power and back to low in sort of surges, i tried removing the air filter and covering the inlet slight and the governor springs and arm seem to move ok,it seems as if its fuel related as when the tanks has drained and i am using it the power picks up and goes full power for about 30secs until i presume the fuel in the carb is gone then it stops?

What I have come across , twice ! , is build up of crap in the carb float chamber... It looks a bit jelly/crystalline like.

After removing this , blowing out the jet , cleaning all airways, all is good once more.

Never had this with previous mowers , but previous mowers never had a plastic petrol tank.

My basic chemistry is telling me that inappropriate plastic material of the tank is being dissolved by the petrol. Typical Chinese low tech approach.

Sponsored Links
Hi Bunnyman and all,

Did you manage to solve your problem, I have the same issue as Bunnyman explains.
In fact this is the second Briggs and Stratton engine doing exactly the same thing. I just replaced the last one but it seems that when restarting the mower after the winter standstill, it initially chucks out smoke but that's cleared now and continues to hunt thereafter.
I took it that the smoke is attributed to oil draining back out of the piston rings but the hunting is curious.
It also drinks the fuel now as in it used to do three mows before needing a top up and now it needs 2 top ups for one mow.
Just before it runs out of fuel, it runs beautifully for the last 30 seconds as Bunnyman explained.
I'm going to strip this one down and clean it through but it would be helpful to be looking to check anything specific to this problem.
The last engine ran lovely for about 7 years, this one has done 2.
Thanks in advance.

First thing - check the air filter, and if its the paper one and its grubby, replace it.
Can you post a pic of your engine please.....carburettor side?
John :)

Ok, and thanks for the pics!
That machine has a foam filter....give it a wash and it should be very lightly oiled, to catch dust.
You see the primer bulb on the carb? There is a gasket and diaphragm just below - where the carb screws onto the tank (5 screws). I strongly suggest you replace these, as they deteriorate very quickly.
When you release the carb, check out the pipes that dip into the fuel.....there's a filter on the end which blocks.
This diaphragm thing is actually a pump that pumps petrol up into the carb.....just note it's position when you renew it!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back