Mountfield HP414

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone own one of these lawnmowers,i've had mine a couple of months,it cuts well but pops a lot when engine is running.
I've phoned Mountfield & they said it was a "poppy" engine but loosen the petrol cap a bit.
I tried that but it didn't make any difference,just wondered if anyone has one and its the same.
Cheers Brian

Sponsored Links
these things fall apart very quickly check all the nuts and bolts are tight, carburettor, cylinder head etc

Loosening the petrol cap....now thats a good one :p
This machine will have the constant speed engine, I guess. This means that the governor has to keep the engine revs steady which does give the impression of a slight misfire when the thing is running.
Worry ye not - but do keep a spare spark plug for it.
John :)

Cheers Merlin50 & Burnerman
This Lawnmower does have variable speed from tortuise to whatever the other picture is,not a lot of difference though.
Must admit i'm not impressed with the sparkplug lead cap,inside the cap the metal bit looks a bit iffy.
Don't know if i can change it.
Brian

Sponsored Links
Tortoise and hare.....
Is this a self propelled mower then? Either way, no matter really - its Mountfields own engine I think, i.e Chinese so don't expect too much!
Change the oil regularly and it will last well enough - if the motor gives more problems then post back.
John :)

Remove sparking plug and the three 10mm nuts on recoil housing just lift off black cover and drop to on side leaving starter cord through cover. Rest spark plug on aluminium head connected to HT lead. Tie dead mans handle with string to release brake from fly wheel. Using old Phillips screwdriver located in casting hole of flywheel spin the unit to observe the spark. Suspect it will be very weak. If so cut through HT lead as close to cap as possible and jam between fins on cylinder barrel if stronger, you spark plug cap suppressor is duff. Buy a new plug cap without suppressor. This cured mine of starting, then hunting and then completely cutting out.
You could just risk £2.50 on ebay and just change spark plug cap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back