mountfield lawnmower starts but won't run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a Mountfield Mower self propelled 454, the kind where you engage one lever/bar to start the engine, and engage a second to make the wheels turn. The engine starts fine, but the wheels no longer turn when engaging the second lever/bar. any suggestions greatefully received. thanks Josh

Sponsored Links
If there is a cable between the handle and the mower, (not the fuel handle), maybe it has stretched and neds a bit of adjustment?

THANKS Conny, there certainly is a cable there. I'm trying to find an online guide . cheers Josh

Sponsored Links
That cable directly connects to the back axle gearbox, onto a lever that has around 45deg of movement.
I hope it's only a cable fault but these axles aren't the strongest things in the world!
Allow me to edit this - having missed perhaps the bloomin' obvious......see that the belt is still there.....if it's frayed, expect one edge of the axle pulley to be really worn sharp.
John :)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back