Mountfield R28M Ride-on Mower fails to start after Winter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mountfield R28M Ride-on fails to start after Winter . I tried re charging battery many times, it kicks couple of times then fails. Any tips/help..? Thanks
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-31 at 18.06.06.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-31 at 18.06.34.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-31 at 18.06.06.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-31 at 18.06.34.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Two comments.....
Make sure the engine gets full choke;
If you think the engine may be flooded, take the spark plug out, dry it if its wet, crank the engine over, replace the plug and try again.
There isn’t a fuel tap, is there?
John :)

A good battery should crank this engine for over a minute in bursts.....if it gives up quickly it needs a replacement ( around £45).

I have seen US jump start videos using connecting to car battery, not sure that work in the case of UK models..?

Sponsored Links
Two comments.....
Make sure the engine gets full choke;>>Snip<<
If you think the engine may be flooded, take the spark plug out, dry it if its wet, crank the engine over, replace the plug and try again.

If you crank it over with the Plug out - put the plug back into the cap and make sure the plug body is held against the motor body otherwise it is likely you will need a new coil pack.
I didn't earth the plug on my Mountfield mower (and that is what is cost me to the help of the wife when cutting the grass!).

I have seen US jump start videos using connecting to car battery, not sure that work in the case of UK models..?
You can use a car battery to jump start your mower - but don’t leave it connected once done.
Positive to positive, negative to negative.

After 1 day long charging of battery and many shaking, pulling, kicking & pushing ...somehow engine started. Looks so far OK. Tomorrow need to try again to see it still OK.

Big relief!! Thanks very much for your response..(y)

Good oh!
If the engine runs at full speed and then ticks over without stalling there’s no need to dig deeper at the moment.
Do check the oil level and the tyre pressures!
Happy cutting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back