how to fix brakes on mountfield 1430 ride on mower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The brakes on my Mountfield 1430 ride-on mower are supposed to operate when you depress the clutch pedal all the way down, but have stopped stopping me recently.

Any clues as to where the brake adjustment is on this model ( or similar ) would be helpful.

TIA

John

Sponsored Links
Clear away all of the crap from around the transaxle (this may involve removing the grass box back, unfortunately) and see if you can find a steel disc that revolves with the back axles.
The disc pads are clipped into place adjacent to the disc, and operated by a rod.
John :)

Got the back off, found where the lever is on the back axle, it certainly moves when I engage the brake, but I can't see what it is doing - I can only assume all the action is going on inside the back axle. So, a bit stumped really.

Sponsored Links
Is there not a round steel disc on the axle, maybe 75mm diameter or so?
Another question - is your machine a hydrostatic drive model, or the mechanical gearbox one?

Yes there is a round disc next to the lever.

It is not hydrostatic drive

Now then, the round disc is actually the disc brake itself, and when the pedal is operated, it presses a couple of tiny copper coloured pads against it, hopefully bringing the machine to a halt.
Its a bit cack handed at the best of times, and the calliper, that holds the pads is bolted on close by. Adjustment of the pads is usually courtesy of a small grub screw in the side of the calliper, but designs vary.
Maybe a pic would help, if thats possible!

Attached is a picture, the lever on the left moves to the front of the machine (pivoting on the bottom) when the brake is depressed. It doesn't move toward the disc seen on the right of the picture. Maybe I have a missing part?

Yep, thats the brake disc OK, and the vertical level alongside is the operating arm.
Now, that arm is supposed to press on a plate cam which in turn presses the pads onto the disc.
Movement is minimal at the best of times, and slop in the lever doesn't help either.
Time for a complete clean up! At least I can't see anything missing (apart from a pad maybe which you wouldn't see from here anyway).....but I am going from memory here!

Gave it a good jetwash, still none the wiser, so on the basis that there was no other apparent adjustment, I gave the locking nut on the bottom of the actuating lever a couple of turns and bingo! Brakes are working great now.

Thank you very much for your help.

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back