Mounting a TV into a wooden column

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone had any advice for mounting a TV onto a wooden column as opposed to masonry (which would be ideal but you can't win 'em all).

I have a column in my kitchen/diner that the wife wants the TV to be mounted to. The dimensions of this column are roughly 63cm wide by 19.5cm deep.

The "wood" is painted MDF-type material (so not solid lumber). The thickness of said wood is about 35mm.

Pic included below, but feel free to ask for any others you might need.
208000_207736_65807_33972977_thumb.jpg

All advice (including a link to a good TV mount) would be appreciated.

p.s. at the moment I am thinking that for stability it might be a good idea to have a plate either side of the column with some m6 threaded rod going through to connect both plates, and then hold the TV. perhaps a bit misguided... ?

Also, the TV is quite an old(ish) 24 inch LCD TV which is probably on the heavy side (but cant be all that heavy, it's just a 24 inch.[/img]

Sponsored Links
T'others may reply with better, but assuming the MDF is firmly affixed I'l look at something like butterfly bolts. (Also depending on the amount of room behind the MDF - whats it covering?)

Hi guys,

It was put in place as a room divider, so It isn't covering anything.

There are some plug sockets built into it lower down - but nothing higher up, where I want to mount the TV.

Cheers

i fitted one across a chimney void once and had to batton across to find some good solid fixings it stood the tv off a extra 2 inch but it wasn't going anywhere. looked good when boxed in.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back