Mounting a TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Im new to the forum, been reading for a while.

Ive just baught my first home, and about to start decorating before moving in, before painting, there is one bit of DIY that i would like some advice / comments on.

I will be wall mounting a TV, i have baught the correct bracket, and the walls will hold the weight (there not plasterboard walls but proper brick and mortor walls).

Now i dont want to see the cables comming from it, they are ugly things, at the same time i dont want to do something that may be considered bodged together.

Really i would like to put proper wall plates in for each connector, but i have not been able to find the wall plates. There is a company in the USA that does them, but because they would be custom to fit all the sockets i need, they would want nearly £100, without cables, once ive baught the cables as i would need more using wallplates, its nearly the price of the TV so its not really viaable finically.

What i plan on doing is running some conduit in the wall, as its not mains cables, i dont belive they need to be shielded, but i want to check, i will be running confuit for ease of changing cables later, but i want to use the right stuff for the job. I was thinking that just capping it with some steel capping would sufice as there is nothing that would carry any sort of current, or voltage (just AV cables) Does anyone know if i can correct with this thinking?

I will need to run a power cable for the TV, and i think i have a few choices, i want to know which would be best, as i can see advangages and disadvantages of each.

1. Put the TV power cable inside the conduit with the other cables, and plug it into the socket as you would normally when it comes out the other End (Advantage: Very Very Easy - Disadvantage: not sure if its safe)

2. Add a socket into the ringmain that is located behind the TV (Advantage:probably the Best- Disadvantage: Not sure if i would have to have someone inspect the work)

3. Add a Spur socket from the ringmain that is located near the TV and run it upto the TV.

(Advantage:Fairly easy, but more effort Disadvantage: Not sure if i would have to have someone inspect the work)

4. Add a fused Spur that goes stright to the TV
(Advantage: Easy - Disadvantage: not sure if its legal)

So my questions....

Has anyone done this before that can offer some advice?
Is there anything wrong with the way i want to run the AV cables?
What would the best thing to do with regards to the electrics?

Just for reference, i am not qualified at all, I have helped my stepfarther who was qalified (no longer my stepfather) Install Lights, extra sockets, Celing Fans, and helped him mount his TV (he used the same method and Added a Supr in for the powersocket).

Thanks for any advice, im sure i will have more questions as i go round the house, my main worry isnt if it is doable, but if it is legal.

Sponsored Links
As long as the TV is located in the lounge or bedroom, you can do it yourself, but you still should submit a Minor Works Cert (ask your step-father).

Generally, you would take a spur (maybe from upstairs ring cct), and chase it in down the wall. You don't have to cap it but it is a good idea to do it in plastic channel. Make sure your run is vertical.

You then need an aerial skt to go along side - but not in the same channel, as mains and coaxial cable do not mix together. Bring your aerial cable from the aerial to the socket using plastic channel as before.

Both boxes should then be sited behind your TV.

If you're not too happy or confident then get someone in to do the work for you. :)

I don't see any need to do a minor works certificate as the job is not notifiable (not a new circuit; not in kitchen bathroom or special location).

I would go for a spur running vertically to a flush outlet behind the TV. You can use an ordinary plug and socket which will make it easier to remove it for maintenance and burglary. In this case the spur does not need to be fused. But you can have a switch on it if you like. I would prefer to spur off the same circuit as the oter sockets in the room, otherwise people may make a mistake when they think they're isolated it.

Run all your cables in oval plastic conduit chased into the plaster. These narrow chases are fairly easy for an amateur to replaster flat. they should all be run direct and in straight lines, either vertically or horizontally. Then you don't need earthed metalic protection for them. The power cables must not share a duct or conduit with anything else.

Google D-line trunking or "TLC" and look at the D-line trunking there.

Trunking would be a surface job, but is about as neat as a surface run could be.

If you do go down the route of chased wall and conduit / oval or metal channel watch out! :-

HDMi / VGA / Scart / kettle power leads all have pre made ends. Those ends will NOT allow for standard oval or 20/25mm conduit to be used. Even if they could, should you ever need to add or change cables is will be a absolute mare to do.

Best I've seen is 75mm x 38mm trunking channeled in to the wall and at the top (behind TV) and bottom use of the double sized face plates with the 'dust' brush covers.
This is a bit OTT but does allow for very simple additions and replacement of any cables, including lumpy scart leads (with plug heads still intact).

Leaving a draw wire in is sensible to aid such work :rolleyes: .

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
I don't see any need to do a minor works certificate as the job is not notifiable

True, but testing the installation is no bad thing.

you can certainly get the plugs and cable you need to make up IEC power leads,VGA leads and scart leads as seperate items, I don't know about HDMI.

Thanks for all your advice.

Went to look at the house again this morning, and gave my self some bad news... As they have build the house, it apears they have put a plasterboard wall a couple of inches infront of the brick wall (Terrence houses so the wall is also my neighbours)

So it looks like now i might have a very easy way out, im going to measure up where i want the TV, take the whole pasterboard panel out, put some huge trunking behind where it was so i will never have a cable problem (2 Scarts, 2 HDMI, 1 VGA, 1 Component, 8 Phono Cables, 1 RF cable, and some speaker wire, is just the start) Then im going to build a frame that will be behind the plasterbord, but up a new sheet of plasterboard, and then mount the TV, that way i should have a pretty easy time, and i have the advantage that i can drop the cables down strght under the floorboards and just pop them up where i want them (which is a nice thing).

Will let you know how it goes, incase i get into any trouble with the electrics... anyone here based in berkshire (after you have givven me advice i feel i should use anyone close enugh for any work i need doing).

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back